LaFourbasse
Topic Author

Character building advice

Wed 14 Oct 2020, 14:49

Hi, Im LaFourbasse a French Role game player. I played a lot of RG and my friend choose Symbaroum to give it a try. We just finished the basic campaign. Now we have 1O more xp and we need to build a new character to start the campaign. Its about a holy crusade mixed with a treasure hunting.

I Builded a Templar with a lot of charisma. Feel free to advice me. But Im scared to be useless in front of the Ogre berserk full protection, litterally immortal.
I want to be the charismatic leader of the grp and still be kinda tank. Feel free to advice me.

Sry for my poor english.

We MUST USE the first book , the basic one only

Templar ANSEL Human Ambrian
Accurate 5 / Cunning 10 / Discreet 10 / Persuasive 16 / Quick 14 / resolute 10 / strong 10 / Vigilant 10

Boon contact (Prios)
Talent : Dominate rank 1 / Expectionnal attribut Persuasive rank 1 / Man at arms rank 2 / Shield fighter rank 1

Item : Heavy armor / 1 handed weapon / Shield

picture link : https://pin.it/3HUzCYk
Attachments
ansel - Copie.jpg
ansel - Copie.jpg (43.42 KiB) Viewed 110 times

Thz74

Re: Character building advice

Wed 14 Oct 2020, 22:33

Forum ate my first post…I try again
The rules in general is offensive biased so its harder to build a tank and easier to build a damage dealer, remember that killing off the enemies lowers the damage it will do you you…
With the only abilitys from the core book allowed you have the following ways to make a ”tank”

Abilities
Templar-Theurg-Track
10xp, Theurg (novice) (to avoid perm corruption
10xp, Witchhammer (n) +1d4 damage (no diceroll needed to succeed)
10xp, Blessed Shield (n)+1d4 armor (diceroll against Resolute to succeed)
20xp Theurg (adept) , makes it possible to use both witchhammer AND shield.
20xp Blessed Shield (a) +1d6 armor (and one ally)
30xp Theurg (master) +1d4 effect (its clear it does +1d4 damage, +armor is open for discussion
30xp Blessed Shield (m) +1d8 armor (and two allies)

10xp gives you nothing
20xp gives more damage
30xp gives you the ability to choose more damage or the chance to more armor
50xp gives you 1d4 damage AND +1d4 armor
At 130xp you have +2d4 damage and +1d8+1d4 armor and can protect two allies

Beserk-track
10xp gives +1d6 damage but totaly destroyes your defence. Your base 14 becomes 5 (+45% chance to be hit)
30xp gives +1d6 damage and +1d4 damage reduction. (but still crap defence)
60xp gives +1d6 damage and +1d4 damage reduction without defence penalty

Dominate-track
another 50xp (adept+master) give you the ability to avoid an attack (adept only makes the enemy attack your group-mates

Acrobatics-track
60xp gives you the chance when fighting more than one enemy to use them against each others.

Then equipment
Armor
For x5 the cost you can purchase a Reinforced armor for +1 armor
With man-at-arms (adept) that will give you a Heavy armor 1d10+1 without defence penalty at 50Thaler
Shield +1 defence
Shieldfighter (n) gives +1 defence
Balanced (x5 cost) gives +1defence so a steel shield for 15Thaler gives you +3 defence
Balanced weapon for +1defence (minimum cost 25Thaler

So equipment gives you 1d10+1 Armor and +4 defence for at total of 18 defence

There is a homebrew rule about armor that it can be fortified (look up ”Fluted Armor” on wiki) for a cost of atleast x10 and that will give you a 2nd chance to roll the armorvalue. So roll twice and pick best (it will on avarage give you +1,7 on a d10) Could be a late game goal if your GM allows. Mastercrafted armor.

As a Templar I think I would pick the Theurgpath with Blessed Shield for the first 50xp if I played tank with Core Book. Not sure if I would go more Theurgpowers or Beserkpath after that. It would depend how the GM rules that Theurg (master) affect Blessed Shield.
Going beserk is also acceptable (but you will forfeit your quick 14 value before you spent 60xp in beserk)

LaFourbasse
Topic Author

Thu 15 Oct 2020, 11:34

Thx a lot that very helpfull.
Just to let u know Im forced to only used the basic book... my GM is a pain the ass. He think that the others book are too overpowered. But Thx again. And yes 10 more exp is very little, but I will slay more monsters and earn more exp in the future. ^^

Thz74

Thu 15 Oct 2020, 17:48

I still like your inital 50xp points dispersal. You are tank and party-face.

There could be some problem with only 10hp thou and only 5 in pain threshold. It could be fixed by taking Strong 16 and Ironfist but then you loose your "party-face" roll. This way you have a role outside combat. But I think I would advice to get 11 in strong just do get 6 i pain threshold

LaFourbasse
Topic Author

Thu 15 Oct 2020, 18:06

ok thx