Giorgiant
Topic Author

[GM] Non-Narrative/Rules Moderate Crafting System?

Mon 05 Apr 2021, 14:57

Revised: 5/22/21
TLDR: Has anyone created a more crunchy crafting system for use in their MYZ RPG games?
The current rules lack solid information on crafting skills, construction times, materials & knowledge & facilities requirements, for settlement expansion, knowledge skills, and what types of items can be crafted by the Ark’s inhabitant. I am aware that this game is a “rules light narrative system / you are the GM just make it up”, yet it leaves way to much work for me as a GM to come up with answers to a lot of questions related to the topics above.
I have read the crafting skills/rules systems for many Post-Apocalyptic RPGs (such as Fallout 2d20, Darwin’s World, Exodus, After the Bomb…) so I know that “rules light/narrative system” alternatives are available. I would like to know if someone has already created one for this game, and/or have discussed this in a forum post in previous years.
As an example of the HUGE differences in what can be known, researched, crafted, and built by category, just take a look at the GURPs Tech Levels 0-5 as a baseline.
Crafting Questions:
Q#1: Assuming a population of 250 mutants, how many of them have skills directly related to the crafting of new items, scavenging of raw materials (scrap, mechanical parts, electronic parts), and repairs of existing gear?
Q#2: Assuming a new Ark has a rating of 0-5 in all its DEV levels, with no projects built at the start of the game, and the fact that there is no smithy, workshop, or foundry which are crucial for the crafting of almost any non-clothing based items, how are the vast majority of the items in the Gear and Services section even available, let alone at those prices?
Q#3: Given point #2 above, how long does it take for each factions Gear Heads/Mechanics to build a weapon, and how much raw material (in scrap value) is consumed in each attempt? There is no way each faction can be pumping out assembly lines of scrap pistols, scrap derringers, and scrap rifles on a regular basis, given the lack of tools and raw materials needed. The time and resources needed to manufacture ranged weapons is a crucial thing to know when an Ark is gearing up for combat, and/or in need to equip its guards, militias, and patrols with weapons.
Q#4: If a Rot Suit has to be hand built for each mutant on a custom basis (as there are no “standard sizes), how much time, resources (in scrap value), and skill level is needed to manufacture each Rot Suit? Can each faction make 20 of them per week? How about 5 per week?
Q#5: Once a settlement has a smithy, a workshop, and a foundry, can it start smelting scrap into new ore ingots, and craft weapons/armors out of bonze and steel, and make non scrap ranged weapons? How about building materials, railroads, and miscellaneous work tools?
Q#6: Given a standardized “session” length of one week/7 days, if each NPC faction sends out their own Zone Walker Teams (ZWT; composed of x1 Stalker, x1 Dog Handler, x2 Enforcers, x1 Chronicler, x1 Gearhead) to locate resources for their faction (as opposed for the Ark), and give each ZWT is provide with the best weapons, armor, and gear available to that faction composed of six members, how would you determine their success rate and amount of resources located per session.
**Military Faction (Bullets, Artifacts)
**Criminal Faction (Bullets, Scrap)
**Worker Faction (Scrap, Crafting Materials [GHA])
**Knowledge Faction (Artifacts, Crafting Materials [GHA])
**Religious Faction (Grub, Water)

For reference, I am using the following source materials:
MYZ = Mutant Year Zero
GLA = Gene Lab Alpha
ELY = Elysium
MEC = Mechatron
AP = Ark Projects PDF (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/33 ... Ark+Projec)
COL = Colonies PDF (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/30 ... t-Colonies)
GHA = The Gearhead Armory PDF (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/30 ... earhead+Ar)
Attachments
GURPS TL 0 to 5.png
GURPS TL 0 to 5.png (179.19 KiB) Viewed 220 times
Last edited by Giorgiant on Sat 22 May 2021, 18:29, edited 3 times in total.

Giorgiant
Topic Author

Re: [GM] Non-Narrative/Rules Heavy Crafting System?

Mon 05 Apr 2021, 16:54

Updated the OP to add a missing third paragraph (oops).

Giorgiant
Topic Author

Mon 05 Apr 2021, 22:37

(Copy/Paste)
Peter Sahlin , valid point. For me however, the rules are "way to light and narrative" leaving me the GM with "extra work to fill out the missing stuff" instead of "giving me the freedom to improvise". In addition, I am already using the excellent FLW PDFs created by the authors I tagged above, as Colonies, Gearhead Armory, and Special Ark Projects fills in a lot of the "missing information" for me from the MYZ Core rulebook. And yes, I know I can always use another rules system, but I prefer to build upon the exsisitin Year Zero Engine instead of having to convert everything to a different system.

Giorgiant
Topic Author

Mon 05 Apr 2021, 22:38

(Copy/Paste)
Attachments
Craft 1.png
Craft 1.png (137.03 KiB) Viewed 357 times

Giorgiant
Topic Author

Re: [GM] Non-Narrative/Rules Moderate Crafting System?

Fri 14 May 2021, 02:35

Update 5/13/21: Re-wrote OP and added initial questions.

Giorgiant
Topic Author

Re: [GM] Non-Narrative/Rules Moderate Crafting System?

Sat 22 May 2021, 18:26

Update 5/22/21: added Q#6.