WanaxOdysseus
Topic Author

The Grand Campaign - drafts and suggestions?

Sun 21 Jul 2019, 16:12

So, now we have the core book and all the other major rule sets in English: Genlab Alpha, Mechatron and Elysium. That's four campaigns that can be linked. And then there is also the Grey Death. And there are the notes in the core book on how to draft a campaign centred around the Hydra monster.

For those among us who like Epic Projects: how would one stitch all these together optimally?

I have half a mind of doing something like this: 
Start with core book and an Ark of human mutants. Play through this for a while and let them explore the zone - maybe find Helldrivers, the Nova cult and some such. Possibly even finish the core book campaign.
Then switch and play through each of the other three origin-story campaigns.
When all are done, have the players pick which of the different characters they want to continue with for the next stage - I'm thinking Iron Ring, Nova Cult, Grey Death and Hydra (not necessarily that order). 

How would you do it? 

Note: I have not played through all of these campaigns yet. In my run, we have only started scrap the surface of the Elysium campaign.

Dorantee

Re: The Grand Campaign - drafts and suggestions?

Mon 22 Jul 2019, 17:29

My group and I is actually in the process of playing through a "grand campaign" right now! They are just about done with the first book, my expectation is that they'll be done in about two sessions (first the travel through the zone to reach EDEN which includes a stop at Paradiso Evinrude and then the last session will be EDEN itself).

After that we're going to play Genlab Alpha and the rest of the books in order with smaller campaigns inbetween. After GA we'll play the Seed of Evil one since I've been longing for that one.

After Maskinarium they will probably deal with the nova cult since they more or less became enemies after rescuing the pregnant mutant (forgot her name). The cult will then (if everything goes well) split in two. The Protectors with preggy lady in charge and the Iron Ring (who up until then has been nothing more than a splinter faction within the cult) with Macron as the leader.

After Elysium I'll properly introduce the endgame. Up until now I've been hinting at a bigger bad guy ie. The three brothers Rhadamantys, Biff and Zigge, or their more common name: The Hydra. A beast with an army who rampages through the countryside burning and plundering as he goes. It will be the groups mission to form a federation of allies to defeat him. Among them are Truffaut, a robot called Vax 10 (if I rember it right), the remnants of the Nova Cult and of course Hindenburg; the newly established capitol of the Elysium survivors. The last one is interesting because they'll probably have to juggle being allies and being rivals as their ark and Hindenburg will be equals in power and both having an ambition to more or less control the zone.

That last part by the way is more or less the story of the founding of the Pyri Community, the country in which the earlier version of mutant (Mutant UA) takes place. My plan is to hopefully take them through that games campaign aswell, with this campaign being the "prequel". This is because Free League is soon coming out with Mutant: Hindenburg which is set about 30 years after the UA campaign.

It will in a sense be THE grand campaign haha!

Moldeboa

Tue 23 Jul 2019, 10:52

That sounds like an epic plan Dorantee! By the way, you haven't statted up the Hydra yet by any chance? I have tried converting him from the old rules system, but it's a tricky one, as he is simply too powerful and unkillable in the previous edition.

Dorantee

Tue 23 Jul 2019, 17:09

Yeah it is isn't? I just hope my group will be able to hold together till the end! Haha!

No I haven't actually. Partially because in my estimation he won't really appear until about 3 years from now if my group keeps going the pace they're going now and partially because I really have nooo idea how to translate the stats from the old game into the new so I'm waiting for Hindenburg to release. Apparently it's supposed to include a guide on how to translate the old engine into the new Y0 one.

KubaP

Tue 23 Jul 2019, 17:46

Absolutely had the same idea yesterday! I am not sure in what order to do it, though. Maybe let them play GA first and finish it when they enter the Zone? And then move to MYZ, followed by the machines and top it off with humans?

Byrax

Wed 24 Jul 2019, 00:24

Don’t forget about space! Send them to Ad Astra as well.

WanaxOdysseus
Topic Author

Wed 24 Jul 2019, 01:08

That is very cool, Dorantee!

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm hoping the Free League will release Mutant: Hindenburg in English some day. Even more epicness!

KubaP

Wed 24 Jul 2019, 08:34

TBH, about sending in space - it's kind of a definite end, isn't it?

I though to do it this way:
1. GenLab until they reach the Zone - somewhere near Eden
2. Year Zero until they stand at the gates to Eden
3. Mechatron - to hunt for the crew from 1. GenLab - until they reach Eden
4. Elyzium - to let them find a way out and get them to Eden

At that point we let them choose, which characters from all 4 campaigns they want to play and play out the grande finale, finishing with (some of) them flying off to space.

The end.

Any thoughts?

Dorantee

Wed 24 Jul 2019, 20:45

TBH, about sending in space - it's kind of a definite end, isn't it?

I though to do it this way:
1. GenLab until they reach the Zone - somewhere near Eden
2. Year Zero until they stand at the gates to Eden
3. Mechatron - to hunt for the crew from 1. GenLab - until they reach Eden
4. Elyzium - to let them find a way out and get them to Eden

At that point we let them choose, which characters from all 4 campaigns they want to play and play out the grande finale, finishing with (some of) them flying off to space.

The end.

Any thoughts?
My only thought is why the mechatron characters would hunt after the Genlab Alpha ones, they wouldn't even really know that they exist?
I would also personally don't end a long campaign with EDEN, it actually is (in my opinion) a somewhat tame finale compared to say GA or Elysium.

But if this setup speaks to you I say go for it, do what you think would be fun for your group!

Moldeboa

Thu 25 Jul 2019, 11:24

Yeah it is isn't? I just hope my group will be able to hold together till the end! Haha!  

No I haven't actually. Partially because in my estimation he won't really appear until about 3 years from now if my group keeps going the pace they're going now and partially because I really have nooo idea how to translate the stats from the old game into the new so I'm waiting for Hindenburg to release. Apparently it's supposed to include a guide on how to translate the old engine into the new Y0 one.
Ah, I didn't know that, and I didn't back it because I prefer English. If I had known this, perhaps... oh well. I have converted a lot of monsters from MUA to MYZ, using existing ones as a baseline. Or simply just using the idea behind the creature and stating them up. The Hydra however... I feel he almost needs to be built like they create monsters in Forbidden Lands. Strength = Hit points is fine until you want to have almost indestructible creatures. It's a mismatch between the hit point level and the number of dice you want the creature to roll for strength-based attacks.