Hangfire
Topic Author

Attribute Damage and Skill Roles

Mon 13 Jul 2015, 01:35

I just wanted to confirm that when you roll a skill check, you use the attribute value minus any trauma that may have been taken against the attribute. So, for example, if you roll for Fight, and normally have a Strength of 5 and a Fight Skill of 2, but have taken 2 points of damage (Strength trauma), would you roll 3 Attribute Dice (Strength) and 2 Skill Dice (Fight), and then whatever gear bonus your weapon gave you?

As an aside - I think this is a great game. I have been looking for something like this for quite some time. The rules for improving the Ark are great. The guys in my group are really enjoying the game.

Fenhorn

Re: Attribute Damage and Skill Roles

Mon 13 Jul 2015, 02:30

You always roll for your 'Current' attribute value (p43).

So in your example you will roll 3 Base Dice and 2 Skill Dice and ? Gear Dice (depending on weapon).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Hangfire
Topic Author

Mon 13 Jul 2015, 05:32

That is how I read the rules, but the guy playing the Enforcer was not very happy. It seemed to him to really penalize his class in particular since he relied so heavily on his Strength, and given that armour is so heavily governed by chance in this game, he didn't see a good reason for being up front in fights. Losing "hit points" and the ability to hit back, and even the ability to defend, often before one even gets to act in a round, is quite a lot to take. Combat in this game is pretty brutal, but it seems that for melee combatants all of their eggs are in one very fragile basket.

Is anyone else having an issue with this? If so, how have you resolved it, if at all?

Tomas
Site Admin

Mon 13 Jul 2015, 10:53

Hi Hangfire and welcome to the forums! We're glad you like the game. :)

Your issue has been brought up before, and yes, it does mean melee fighters go down pretty quickly. It's important to strike first, so surprise attacks are recomended!
On the other hand, a melee fighter with a high Fight score and a good weapon will still be deadly even after having taken a few hits.

In the first major expansion to the game, "Genlab Alpha" (released in Swedish in April, coming in English this winter), there is actually a talent called "Slugger" which lets you use your full Strength score for melee attacks (not defense) even after having taken damage. If you like you could introduce this talent as a house rule already. :)
Fria Ligan

soda

Mon 13 Jul 2015, 14:31

I think it works really well. Someone has to go in first and take most of the hits, so in our group the rest of the players makes sure that the enforcer gets the food he needs. It's a win-win scenario for the team.

Hangfire
Topic Author

Mon 13 Jul 2015, 14:57

Thanks for the suggestion Tomas, that sounds like a great talent. I will put it into play - I'm sure it will make the player of the Enforcer happy.

I'm glad to hear that there are going to be expansion products for this game. I've seen some of the covers from the Swedish books and they look great - I'm really interested in the one with the shark on the cover, that looks pretty cool.