shaysnile65
Topic Author

Mixed characters from all the books?

Sat 17 Oct 2020, 20:55

I wanna run a campaign, and I'm thinking about letting the gamers use all the books. But I have a few questions.

Are races balanced, between mutants, animals, robots and enclave humans?

Which advantage have the enclave humans over the other races? (All the others have weird cool abilities, the enclave humans are just...humans)

Could anyone who GMed a game like this tell me about the characters of their group of players? How the races interact between and so.https://omegle.onl/ vshare
Last edited by shaysnile65 on Wed 21 Oct 2020, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.

DruidGamer

Re: Mixed characters from all the books?

Sat 17 Oct 2020, 22:09

My “current” campaign (that I hope to get back to once we can meet up in person again) has everything except for Enclave Humans since it started before Elysium was released. I thought about allowing regular Humans as PCs but decided against it as their advantage is tied in with Advance Technology, Bionic Implants & Social Contacts, none of which my current Ark Community has access to.

If you wanted to include Enclave Humans into your settlement you would have to take all that into consideration. I’ve never seen a translation of Mutant: Hindenburg (Swedish only so far) yet but strictly going by the artwork, it seems that it might have a framework to allow Mutants, Mutant Animals & Humans to adventure together.

Dorantee

Tue 20 Oct 2020, 03:26

I'd say that the different classes are fairly balanced. Mutant powers are powerful but have a high cost should you misfire. Animal powers are like mutations but animals get more of them and the cost of misfire isn't as high. Modules can be very powerful but robots also use the same energy that powers modules to stay "alive", use modules to much and they "starve". Contacts are arguably the weakest of all the powers mainly because they have both a time limit and the limitation that the contact they want to use must be able to hear them (with a few exceptions). Contacts can however be very powerful when used correctly for social things ie. in the Ark (and if you do what I'm planning to do: Spread out humans in the different special sectors that belong to the four powerful families so humans can use contacts out in the zone/in other settlements as well).

Humans don't have any direct advantage over the other classes at first glance (again they might appear weaker simply because of the contacts) but they have a few advantages. The big thing are the stats. Even an old human which have the lowest amount of points to place on their attributes still have the same amount of points to place as a Mutant (14 points). Older humans also get more points to place on their skills than their animal counterparts. The main thing though is that humans have a "key attribute" depending on which family they belong to. What that entails is that whenever they push a skill roll that is based on their key attribute they may choose to reroll any of their dice no matter what they turn up, that is they may reroll all 1'es if they wish (and 6'es but why would they do that...)

Another thing is their roles. Elysium roles are locked and may not be chosen until their pre-requisite projects have been completed. Unless you start the game as a human that is. This can be good or bad depending on what role you choose to play as. The lawyer type role isn't very well suited to a completely new ark (but neither are arguably robots as a class either, so) but especially the soldier and the technician can be very useful, especially since they may start the game with an implant which can be stupidly good.

The last big thing is probably the social game for the humans. Reputation gives, just like the animals rank, a bonus in social conflict depending on the difference in rank between the characters that are rolling against each other. At the start that only really applies to other humans but when you finish a project mutants are included in that. I'm also planning on having the animals rank be replaced with reputation once the project is completed in my own game but that is a house-rule. Once that happens the reputation bonus can be used against mutated characters as well and they automatically gain -2 to their reputation simply for being mutants (and animals). A human character with the lowest possible reputation (young and a slave/grunt) still gain a +2 in social rolls against their mutated peers.

I also just want to say that humans can use their families influence instead of working on projects. A family in a new ark begins the game with T6 influence which the player who made the human character rolls. If they roll 4 or more on that they can instantly complete many of the early projects without ever making any skill rolls, never mind the late game projects should they ever gather large amounts of influence for their family.

Dorantee

Tue 20 Oct 2020, 03:36

... I’ve never seen a translation of Mutant: Hindenburg (Swedish only so far) yet but strictly going by the artwork, it seems that it might have a framework to allow Mutants, Mutant Animals & Humans to adventure together.
Humans, animals, mutants and robots work largely the same as they do in Year Zero with the same powers and so on. Some things are changed or are more streamlined (robots character creation is more like the character creation for the other classes, everyone can choose any of the roles and talents, there are no different "social statuses" (Hierarchy, rank, reputation) for the classes, among others).

Contacts are arguably even more useful though since the game takes place in the titular city of Hindenburg. The setting is some 300 years later than Year Zero so the characters exist in a established society, it's easier than ever to use your contacts.