AllanPrewett
Topic Author

Official help on lock picking.

Fri 12 Jun 2020, 12:42

Hello, not sure how much love this forum gets from the developer.
I asked recently on Facebook about what skill to use for mechanical and electronic lock picking.
Data Djinn seems a logical fit for electronic,
Other posters said, Technology, for mechanical.
Seemed fine, I suggested maybe the system needed a mechanical skill, with a variable attribute depending on what was being attempted.
I do like the un-bloated skill list, so not sure.
But then I noticed the Operative, with gear options for lock picking has no Technology skill for any of the concepts.
I know it does not have to be on the list, but a spy or assassin would seem to be a required skill.
Thanks for any help.

jerichojeudy

Re: Official help on lock picking.

Mon 15 Jun 2020, 17:30

Good points!
I guess Assassin and Spy don’t get technology because technology is such a wide ranging skill. But players getting the lock pick equipment should definitely invest the One build point in Technology.

The game is very rules light, with a tiny bit of crunch in equipment section. I'm GMing a new campaign, and I wonder how soon the players will run out of options for character development!

Valyar

Re: Official help on lock picking.

Tue 16 Jun 2020, 13:29

The game is very rules light, with a tiny bit of crunch in equipment section. I'm GMing a new campaign, and I wonder how soon the players will run out of options for character development!
Focus on the story and consequences of their actions, not that on mechanics and dice rolls. This quickly gets boring in Coriolis/Alien which share the same approach towards the development depths of a player character. Forbidden Lands have talent ranks and different XP progression, so more there. :)