IrishWolf
Topic Author

multiple Buddys

Fri 17 Jan 2020, 01:21

Hello,

I've got a question:
As I understood it, each SC has only one buddy in the crew.

But in the Quickstarter (English and German) Samioh Amin (Archtyp for "Dark Flowera") has marked all crew members as buddy. Is this a global misprint or can you actually mark as many buddy as you like in the crew?
(that would have a big impact on the game dynamics and the exp allocation ...)

Best greetings

Greipur

Re: multiple Buddys

Fri 17 Jan 2020, 23:00

In the Swedish version it's pretty clear that it's only one that's closest to you at start. It says (loosely translated):

[...]you must choose one which you are closest to. That person is your buddy*.

* I want to note that in Swedish they use the word "närstående" which is basically "next of kin" or "relative". So a "närstående vän" is basically your bestest best friend in the world. Some meaningless trivia from the original version.

IrishWolf
Topic Author

Sat 18 Jan 2020, 00:06

It's the same in the german and english rulebook:

SC-Kumpel: Wenn du deine Beziehung zu den anderen SC bestimmt hast, solltest du einen von ihnen als deinen Kumpel bestimmen. Er ist dein bester Freund in der Gruppe. Mach einen Haken in das Kästchen neben dieser Person auf dem Charakterblatt.
-----
PC Buddy: When you’ve chosen your relationships to the other PCs, you should pick one of them as your buddy – your best friend in the group. Check the box next to that person on your character sheet.

My problem is, that in the sheets Samioh has all SC checked:

Greipur

Sat 18 Jan 2020, 10:45

When rules and laws conflict in real life or in a game I usually go to the highest authority, in this case I think the core rulebook is that source. I have always played with that you only have one buddy and never even read the quickstart rules. The other thing we can do (and this is actually the Swedish judicial system) is to interpret the intent of the "law" or "contract". Let's think about why this mechanic exists. I think that it's crystal clear that you shouldn't be best friends with everyone since then you'd pretty much get exp every session and helping a particular person would not have any significance. Having a game mechanic that encourages helping one player more creates or encourages social dynamics, the other way around is, as I said just a free exp grind.

But if you want an official reply if it's a misprint, well, I guess we have to wait and see when Free League replies. ;)

IrishWolf
Topic Author

Sat 18 Jan 2020, 12:06

I absolutely agree with you and thank you ver much for your effort!

I just wanted to be sure here because the same big misprint in two languages amazed me a lot.
Usually you only have one buddy in the RL too but there are "sunshines" out there that like everything and everyone. Hence my confusion if that's a special possibilty.

Greipur

Sat 18 Jan 2020, 14:09

No problem, good luck out there. ;)