Greipur

Re: What comes after "Emissary Lost"?

Thu 28 May 2020, 14:37

I also want to add that my personal solution to the few months of wait I'll pad out with the RP group being on the run, having been involved with several of the major factions one of them should be at least a little bit cross with them. So just taking on random missions trying not to get caught feels like enough suspense imo. :)

Fragpuss

Wed 14 Oct 2020, 21:00

"The Last Cyclade" - in about a week :)

Lem23

Tue 15 Dec 2020, 22:15

So....now that Last Cyclade is out, when can we expect part 3? ;)

Chutnik

Fri 18 Dec 2020, 00:11

According to Nils Hintze in the GM on Facebook, Mercy3 is scheduled to come out during 2021. However Rickard Antroia have hinted that he haven't finished all the plot of it yet.

Personally, after being rather disappointed by the Last Cyclade, I'm waiting for conclusion of mercy3 before deciding if I will run it for my group.

Aeoris

Mon 21 Dec 2020, 21:34

Yeah, moi2 was a huge letdown. Has good elements and useful information, but definitely have to rewrite the ending and fix a lot of the internal logic/continuity issues so my players don't rip it to shreds. Definitely going for a pdf purchase instead of hardcover next time.

Lurking Grue

Wed 24 Feb 2021, 12:23

I am considering starting the Mercy of The Icons campaign, but only have the first book, "Emissary Lost". Reading reviews of the second book, "Last Cyclade", I am concerned, as it is quite widely disliked, especially the ending of "Last Cyclade". Without having read it yet (as to not buy it before I am certain of running the campaign), I am pondering, how much work would it take to change and rewrite the ending? Is it just the ending that needs work? What do you think, would the campaign story/plot still work if the massive destruction at the end of Book 2 is toned down a bit, like having the Coriolis station be damaged severely, but not destroyed? Or is the whole campaign hanging from that thread and having the station survive would ruin the plot irrevocably?

Also, having read that the last part of Book 2 is terribly railroaded, sounds quite bad (and will not fly for my players at all). So, I'm a bit wary of starting the campaign at all, if I need to rewrite much of the second part to make it work and then worry how (or even if) it will fit the upcoming finale of the Book 3 of the campaign. What, if anything, is currently known about the Book 3? Is it still going to be published this year (end of 2021)?

Thanks for your insight in advance.
"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Chutnik

Wed 24 Feb 2021, 20:04

Also, having read that the last part of Book 2 is terribly railroaded, sounds quite bad (and will not fly for my players at all). So, I'm a bit wary of starting the campaign at all, if I need to rewrite much of the second part to make it work and then worry how (or even if) it will fit the upcoming finale of the Book 3 of the campaign. What, if anything, is currently known about the Book 3? Is it still going to be published this year (end of 2021)?

Thanks for your insight in advance.

I would say that you probably will have to rewrite a portion of M3 if you dont destroy Coriolis. However that might be necessary anyway, as player agency seems to be low on the agenda for the campaign in general.

According to Nils on FL, M3 is scheduled for release during 2021 (my guess is probably during the last quarter).

Im currently running M1 and, if we decide to run M2, I will rewrite a lot of act 2 and 3 in it. My take is to give the players the possibility to save Coriolis, but leaving it damaged, full of refugees and relocated to orbit around Surha. All the political intrigue and diplomacy will move to the Rimward reach, so most of that stuff will probably work with M3.

But to be honest, I will wait until I know how good/bad M3 turns out.

Greipur

Sat 06 Mar 2021, 14:58

I've only been GM for all ot Mutant: Year Zero and all of Coriolis campaigns so can't speak for all of FL's work, but I think what they're trying to do is making a sort of "Nordic noir" spin on heroism. You're never the center of attention, you can affect as much as maybe a powerful and influential person in real life would be able to handle. So I wouldn't say there isn't agency, rather there's no "heroic agency".

That said, sometimes when they try to create campaigns and they throw out some of the heroics we might expect from similar older fantasy and sci-fi settings they don't really replace it with anything. I think FL's campaigns usually struggle with "why should the players or their characters care?". What I usually do is try to inject more personal stakes and likeable/dislikable NPCs. So the last section of Last Cyclade will be about personal struggles more than anything that has to do with Coriolis blowing up.

They've said that Ian M. Banks' Culture series is a major inspiration, I can really see that having just finished the first book Consider Phlebas. In that book the protagonist is escaping a huge "Orbital" in the middle of the book and the stakes felt incredibly real, reading it was like watching some good action thriller. There was nothing the protagonist could do to hinder the destruction of the huge space settlement, but he could save himself and maybe some of his crewmates. I want the escape from Coriolis to feel more like that.

Chutnik

Fri 12 Mar 2021, 18:28

So the last section of Last Cyclade will be about personal struggles more than anything that has to do with Coriolis blowing up.

They've said that Ian M. Banks' Culture series is a major inspiration, I can really see that having just finished the first book Consider Phlebas. In that book the protagonist is escaping a huge "Orbital" in the middle of the book and the stakes felt incredibly real, reading it was like watching some good action thriller. There was nothing the protagonist could do to hinder the destruction of the huge space settlement, but he could save himself and maybe some of his crewmates. I want the escape from Coriolis to feel more like that.

I think that is a good idea. It is a bit of a tempo-change as the second act is very much focused on big-scale heroics. But that probably makes the end of M2 easier to ingest.

I would recommend removing any possibility to go to the monolith on Kua, as that part really gives the impression that there will be big-scale heroics (up till the point of auto-failure).

Greipur

Sat 13 Mar 2021, 20:20

So the last section of Last Cyclade will be about personal struggles more than anything that has to do with Coriolis blowing up.

I think that is a good idea. It is a bit of a tempo-change as the second act is very much focused on big-scale heroics. But that probably makes the end of M2 easier to ingest.

I would recommend removing any possibility to go to the monolith on Kua, as that part really gives the impression that there will be big-scale heroics (up till the point of auto-failure).

Yup! I agree with the monolith, that feels very anticlimactic and very anti-agency, regardless of heroics. ;)