Nicolas Michon
Topic Author

Handling of DPs / XP and progression / Cardboard cutouts

Sun 22 Aug 2021, 22:30

Dear fellow GMs,

I am now in possession of most of the Coriolis materials, and I had a couple of questions as I start preparing a campaign.

a) Darkness Points: do you keep the total visible to your players? Some games do (like the French game "Noc", which even has a Gizmo to let your players see the number of "Fiel" points you have) but it does give PCs a lot of insights into a key GM mechanic;

b) XP: : p. 28 provides for a fairly quick progression of the PCs. Have some of you experienced with, say, making the cost of new skill level progressive (i.e. 5 XP to get a skill at level 1, 6 to get it to level 2, 7 to get it to level 3 .....) Conversely, attributes cannot evolve - have some of you tried to, say, allow you to get a superior attribute level (for 5 times the new level in XP, ie 15 for level 3, 20 for level 4)?

c) I absolutely suck at painting minis (otherwise Infinity's Haqq-Islam line could have been interesting), but I'd like to find some way to picture characters & NPCs in action scenes on a map. Do you know of any brand that makes cardboard figures that can work with Coriolis' SciFi Arabian Nights with a Dark Twist aesthetics ?

Thank you, and May the Icons smile upon you.

Kirimdor

Re: Handling of DPs / XP and progression / Cardboard cutouts

Tue 24 Aug 2021, 08:49

We have a stack of DP in front of the GM screen for everyone to see. It builds atmosphere and tension if thats what you want.
In regards to XP we have started to give 1 xp each session someone attends, but then use the questions only after adventures or arcs, so after 3-5 sessions, depending on the story.
You can also post your question on reddit, https://www.reddit.com/r/CoriolisRPG/ , there is usually more response. Coriolis also has a general facebook and gm facebook group.

Nicolas Michon
Topic Author

Thu 26 Aug 2021, 18:15

Thanks Kirimdor, I will go lurk on Reddit and FB, I was a bit surprised at how little feedback I got here. I will try to find some suitable tokens for DPs......

Kirimdor

Wed 08 Sep 2021, 09:28

No worries. There is also a very active Discord. https://discord.com/invite/RnaydHR