Lego
Topic Author

Too many space combat questons

Thu 29 Jul 2021, 15:31

Our group did some ship combat last night and I of course spent hours contemplating tiny details and scenarios that bring up tons of questions. I have a good idea how I think it should work but I would love to hear some official thoughts on it.

1) An Ion cannon does both EP and Hull damage but if you roll extra successes how is the extra damage decided? Can you choose what type to do more of? I assume it does not do both. IE 2 extra 6s could do 1 hull and 3 EP.

2) I found a post from Tomas from yeas ago in regards to armor affecting Ion cannon’s EP damage too but how is it rolled? Does the person rolling the armor decide what gets blocked first or does it get rolled on both individually getting 2 armor rolls?

3) I see the order in which smaller crews take jobs (pg170) but could a crew intentionally act as a smaller one and larger one at the same time? IE having a pilot/cap at -2, a sensor/engineer at -2, and 3 gunners if you had the weapons for it and spending EP correctly.

4) Do you have to combine the rolls in that order. For example if the sensor operator and engineer be the same person and keep the captain in the captain role?

5) When you combine the captain role and the pilot role you are not allowed to roll any of the captain stuff so not taking an action in that round so would you get the -2 to pilot?

6) In the lost crew section it says you take -2 to every action for each extra action you preform. It also says you take a -8 if you want to ACT in every phase. If you don’t want to ACT in every phase but still be a one man show could you do that at no penalty if you only took 1 ACTION total. Like just pilot or just gunner?

7) Do you use EP to aid someone? like if there were 2 sensor guys doing the same action.

8) Do you need to have any skill in technology to be the engineer and distribute EP? Yes I know to do any action you must have at least 1 skill in technology.

9) Can you leave a crew position unmanned and do the other 4 without penalty. Like have no gunner?

10) If you have 5 crew could you take the -2 to do an extra role. Like the pilot flying and gunner both at -2 and using appropriate EP?

11) It does not say but in the same manner as firing defensively you need to hold your action, would the sensor operator be able to hold the action to break a lock? Or if you go first you can never break locks since the second ship would have created the lock after you went and they could torpedo you all day if you “won” the initiative. Logically being able to hold a break lock action should be an option.

12) Also do you need to lock every round or if a lock is still active does it stay locked every round till broke? If not broke do you need to spend EP on it every round to maintain it?

13) If you have a ship system or ship intelligence who decides how it does its actions? Wouldn’t want your ship intelligence assigning EP to the wrong places or piloting away when you want to close in.

Kirimdor

Re: Too many space combat questons

Tue 24 Aug 2021, 08:50

You can also post your question on reddit, https://www.reddit.com/r/CoriolisRPG/ , there is usually more response. Or on facebook, there is a general and a gm group.