AmirJustin
Topic Author

Defending in melee combat with an equipped ranged weapon?

Mon 13 Jul 2020, 13:00

The rules say "If your enemy attacks you with a weapon, and you yourself are unarmed, you get a -2 modifier to defending". But what happens if the PC is armed with ranged weapon? Presumably, he might still parry the blows (and even counterattack), etc) with the the butt of his rifle. Pistols and heavy weapons will not work that way certainly. Any thoughts on the matter please?

Ebrim

Re: Defending in melee combat with an equipped ranged weapon?

Thu 16 Jul 2020, 20:16

The rules say "If your enemy attacks you with a weapon, and you yourself are unarmed, you get a -2 modifier to defending". But what happens if the PC is armed with ranged weapon? Presumably, he might still parry the blows (and even counterattack), etc) with the the butt of his rifle. Pistols and heavy weapons will not work that way certainly. Any thoughts on the matter please?
I don't see why not, particularly with a rifle or carbine... I feel like most sidearms aren't going to do you a ton of good defensively.
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, an instructional AP dedicated to Year Zero games. Currently playing in a Raven’s Purge campaign and GM’ing a campaign of Vaesen.

OrunII

Re: Defending in melee combat with an equipped ranged weapon?

Wed 02 Sep 2020, 12:17

But what happens if the PC is armed with ranged weapon?
Then technically speaking, you aren't unarmed. :)