Kimon
Topic Author

Explosives are underpowered??

Fri 15 May 2020, 12:58

My character throws a grenade and it lands at Close range of the target, but only has 67% chance of doing 1 point of damage. Why bother, when my character can just shoot to deal the same damage... and ammo is a lot cheaper than grenades!
Shouldn’t explosives be more deadly ?

Valyar

Re: Explosives are underpowered??

Fri 15 May 2020, 13:53

The explosives have blast area - you roll against each in the zone. There is hardly way you can do that with normal weapon, even when fired in autofire. Therefore the power of the explosives is the area effect and damage.

Also, depending on your style of game, certain amount of explosives will kill anyone outright.

jerichojeudy

Tue 19 May 2020, 19:41

I find explosives a bit weird also.
Grenades are particularly useless by RAW.
I'm tempted to augment Damage and range, and have the person next to the charge at Crit 1, and further away at Crit 2.
The low BLAST could also benefit from bonuses in some cases. Regarding grenades, they don't explode on impact, there is a delay, so you could argue that is reflected by the low Blast. People have a second to get the hell out of there.

But I agree, some HR are needed.
But be careful, if you make explosives too realistic, then everyone dies all the time and it's no fun... Enemies will have grenades too...

Mohawk Norwegian

Sat 23 May 2020, 13:33

I've thought the same, so me and my players hacked it a bit.

Here are my houserules:
Throwing a grenade is the usual ranged weapons roll as normal (yes , that means you can make a quick shot with it, if you dare).
  • Rolling a failure (no sixes) allows the GM to spend 1 DP to dictate where the grenade hits.
  • Rolling a limited sucess (1 sixes) means you hit something, but not everything you wanted - your blast radius includes half of the people you were trying to hit (so limited success with a group of 4 enemies mean you only hit 2 of them).
  • Rolling a success (2 sixes) means you cover all the combatant you wanted.
  • Rolling an exceptional success (3 sixes) adds another +1 damage to anyone who recives damage from the explosive.
  • Blast Power and Size works the same way as in the core book.

So far it has worked fine for us, but we don't have an extremely tactical game, so it might work differently if your game is more Mass Effect than Blade Runner.
I also think that allowing +1 damage for any sixes above exceptional would also be ok, it might make explosions more crazy, but ... they usually are, so why not? and its damage, not crits, so while it could be leathal, it won't mean every grenade is an autokill (I think).

Crone

Tue 29 Sep 2020, 14:08

Dont you miss the explosive effect?

A cluster granade has explosive effect 6, dam 2 and crit 1. I roll for my ranged combat as normal and get one 6, i hit with the granade. It does 2 dam plus 6 dice expolsive effect (possibility to get max six 6s for extra dam, crit or whatever) at close range.
A cluser granade only works at close range because to the explosive effect is reduced with 6 at short range.

But I agree that they are a bit underpowered

jerichojeudy

Thu 01 Oct 2020, 15:27

A cluster granade has explosive effect 6, dam 2 and crit 1. I roll for my ranged combat as normal and get one 6, i hit with the granade. It does 2 dam plus 6 dice expolsive effect (possibility to get max six 6s for extra dam, crit or whatever) at close range.
Interesting take. But I think by RAW, the blast effect IS the attack. So if you roll no sixes, you miss. Basically, it gives you a 6 dice attack against possibly more than one target. The RAW is very vague about how to play this, and your interpretation is very good as well. I might use that.

And I'll stress to my players that the typical grenades are low powered as to make them useful on the battlefield. Less chance of killing yourself, or friendlies. Made to root out enemies in dug ins and such.

Crone

Thu 01 Oct 2020, 20:29

Thanks!
Thats how interpret the rules as it, in the swedish version, says "you use ranged combat even when you throw a rock at someone" so why not a granade? Also if you use a granade lanucher you use ranged combat.
The fun part is if a PC fail thier roll you can as GM use a DP to let them fumble and drop the granade at thier feet.... or make it bounce in the wall etc. One of the PC lost his leg that way. Lucky for him cyberneticts isnt that expensive =)
Or when another PC used his granade lancher in a fight on a shuttle, failed his roll, missed the target and the granade went into the cockpit...

If you place an explosive you use Technology. I use the same rule here.

I think it works well and also as someone said, in some situations explosions kill right away.