carpetmilk9
Topic Author

Questions about Torpedoes?

Tue 12 May 2020, 11:17

Hi all, I'm just about to launch my PC's into a new series of Coriolis games and i'm excited to try this setting out having GM's others before. I'm not sure they will be using Torpedoes but having read the rules i have spotted a few omissions and whilst i have my own thoughts on how to handle the rules for them, i wanted to canvass the opinion to see what everyone else has come up with.

So the rules say that torpedoes require a target lock and approach at a speed of 2 CU per turn, including the turn they were launched in (page 169). Which is fine but it leaves a few unanswered questions?

In which phase do they move? Pilot or Attack?

At what point in the turn order do they move? i.e. whats their initiative if you like?

Does the launching ship have to maintain the target lock until they impact?https://trackeasy.fun/usps/ https://showbox.tools/

If it does then what happens if the launching ships loses its lock?

If not (and the torpedo has its own on board locking system) can the enemy ship attempt to break the lock of the torpedo?

Does the listed range of the torpedo (p150) dictate the maximum number of CU it can move or the maximum range it can be launched from (or both)?

Interested to see people thoughts (or maybe some clarification that i missed in the rules)
Last edited by carpetmilk9 on Tue 12 May 2020, 23:02, edited 1 time in total.

Valyar

Re: Questions about Torpedoes?

Tue 12 May 2020, 13:41

I move the torpedoes during the movement phase. They move on the initiative of the ship that launched them.
There is no need to maintain target lock, this is the purpose of the torpedo. The target lock can be changed after the torpedo is successfully launched.
Defending against torpedo is listed as separate action, you basically have to destroy it by hitting it with your ship weapon.