Jeinor
Topic Author

Sets of paper miniatures and battle mats for Coriolis

Sat 23 Mar 2019, 13:23

Good day. I really liked Coriolis. But he was faced with the problems of most role-playing systems (which are not D&D and not Pathfinder), for her there are no figures (even made of paper) and battle mats. Maybe at first glance these things do not seem important, but they create a unique atmosphere. Therefore, it would be just fine if you released a set of paper thumbnails, for example, as for Starfinder. The set could include characters of various classes, representatives of various factions, bandits, monsters, some key characters in the universe of the Third Horizon, as well as just extras (merchants, pilgrims, guards). And with the help of the battle mats one could create unique combat clashes. For fantasy there are a huge number of maps, then there is almost nothing for fiction. Yes, as a figurine one could use figures from Starfinder, but you yourself understand that these are different RPGs with their own lore and atmosphere (and I like Coriolis more). If such kits would be on sale, I would definitely buy them, and not only me.Image

OrunII

Re: Sets of paper miniatures and battle mats for Coriolis

Thu 28 Mar 2019, 12:51

There are battle maps and tokens in the Swedish Coriolis starter box actually: Image

Jeinor
Topic Author

Mon 01 Apr 2019, 23:28

There are battle maps and tokens in the Swedish Coriolis starter box actually: Image
these are different things. I talked about NPC tokens and battle mats

OrunII

Wed 03 Apr 2019, 08:54

these are different things. I talked about NPC tokens and battle mats
Which are in the above box...

jonathanpay

Sun 07 Apr 2019, 13:43

In the Icon Deck there are NPC cards with stats on them - the pictures used for them are found in the books. You could very well take those pictures from the PDFs and print out your own toekns in whatever format you like. The Coriolis RPG is full of text flavour and not everything is listed out or illustrated because it's largely left to the GMs to create their own worlds with. There is no Monster Manual. Use the art that is in the books, or find similar through things like pinterest to fill those visual gaps where theatre of the mind won't do justice.
Christian. Husband. Father. Antipodean. Egalitarian. Cinephile. Boardgame and ttrpg enthusiast. Jack-of-all-trades. World's first second-generation email geek.

Jeinor
Topic Author

Sun 07 Apr 2019, 14:00

In the Icon Deck there are NPC cards with stats on them - the pictures used for them are found in the books. You could very well take those pictures from the PDFs and print out your own toekns in whatever format you like. The Coriolis RPG is full of text flavour and not everything is listed out or illustrated because it's largely left to the GMs to create their own worlds with. There is no Monster Manual. Use the art that is in the books, or find similar through things like pinterest to fill those visual gaps where theatre of the mind won't do justice.
I want real cardboard (I’m not talking about plastic figurines) figurines depicting monsters and enemies on beautifully illustrated maps in Coriolis style, not pebbles on paper I painted with my own hands. And besides, I want to see exactly those monsters, animals and other inhabitants of the horizon that are presented in the book, and not similar things with pinterest. Because then the game will reach a new level. And I wrote with the hope that the Free League will answer me, not the players who do not understand what I mean at all.

OrunII

Fri 12 Apr 2019, 11:25

Lets hope they do that then, and that your explanation is precise enough to be understood - the way you want it to be. :)

kolarius

Sat 13 Apr 2019, 12:48

I agree with the OP. I would buy paper minis (or tokens), because it is really hard to find sci-fi miniatures with a Middle Eastern flavor.
The only minis that work are from the Infinity game, and those are at 8-10$ per miniature. Okay for a PC, but too expensive for the NPC of the week.

And I have tried print-and-play tokens before. They are not great.
The problem is: You touch them all the time, and the ink rubs off on your fingers and back on the paper, which makes them look very ugly after only a couple of sessions.

Umberto Octo

Sun 05 May 2019, 17:09

Late addition to the topic, but still...

We used images from the books, resized them, and printed them on card stock paper at the local office despot store. Quality job, less than 40$. Ink doesn't smear at all. But for added longevity, we took clear industrial packing tape to create a DIY laminate for protection in the Dark Between the (Game Sessions).

Battle mats were also DIY using single sides of a cardboard box cut to lay flat and have the map hand drawn onto it.

For Coriolis, I'd probably buy some pre-printed tokens and minis (because it's Coriolis art), but I think everyone in our current playing group enjoys that we go it alone and don't outsource things like this.

For the discussion here, great suggestions were offered on how to catch the sought after fish, but then the advisee just didn't seem to want to go fishing.
"Se til helvete å komme dere vekk. Det er ikke en bikkje! Det er en slags TING!
Det imiterer en bikkje. Det er ikke virkelig! Kom dere vekk, IDIOTER!"

jonathanpay

Mon 13 May 2019, 12:04

I want real cardboard (I’m not talking about plastic figurines) figurines depicting monsters and enemies on beautifully illustrated maps in Coriolis style, not pebbles on paper I painted with my own hands. And besides, I want to see exactly those monsters, animals and other inhabitants of the horizon that are presented in the book, and not similar things with pinterest. Because then the game will reach a new level. And I wrote with the hope that the Free League will answer me, not the players who do not understand what I mean at all.
Oh, I understood you. I knew that you were asking the publishers. I was offering you a grounded alternative, because it seems very unlikely, looking at their publishing schedule that they're going to be adding more to Coriolis beyond the campaign books every couple of years (a conservative estimate, I'm happy to be wrong and for Mercy of the Icons part 2 to be sooner).

Keep in mind that not all the creatures in the books have illustrations, and most most are human. Coriolis is a book that gives you enough fuel to get started with your own stuff, it's not as old or fleshed out as Pathfinder/Starfinder, Forgotten Realms and the like that have lots of splat books and illustrated monster stats. Coriolis has a rich setting for you you work from and build up, but it is not a tabletop wargame.

Make your own, or don't and keep waiting for a response that might never come. 
Christian. Husband. Father. Antipodean. Egalitarian. Cinephile. Boardgame and ttrpg enthusiast. Jack-of-all-trades. World's first second-generation email geek.