ConnorsRPG
Topic Author

Ship Combat & Shields

Fri 12 May 2017, 08:12

I was reading the Ship Combat rules again this week. I noticed that ships in Coriolis don't have 'shields' as is so common for other systems/sci-fi games/shows.

Given I am running this for Star Wars, I am going to add another crew position; Shield Operator.

Pretty simple.

Basically acts during Sensor Op phase.

If ship has shields feature gains 1 armor inc vs ion. With 1 Ep Shield Op can attempt to 'generate more shield points' towards 1 direction (of attack).

VoxenTass

Re: Ship Combat & Shields

Fri 12 May 2017, 15:43

I thought Ion weapons were designed to ignore shields in SW? I like the idea of the operator increasing an arcs defense though.

ConnorsRPG
Topic Author

Sat 13 May 2017, 00:01

yeah, I think you are right. Didn't really think that through. Forget the mention ion in that post ;)

Just was thinking it was odd no shields. (Unless I have missed something).

Also, rather than create a new crew position, just adding it to Sensor Op and calling it Systems Op. ;)

VoxenTass

Sat 13 May 2017, 01:14

So you got me thinking about and I have something for you to consider. Drop ship armor 1 point on all ships and use the shield feature to add the point back. As far as standard ship combat would go nothing changes. The shield point would be passive added. The operator could then use his ability to increase an arc like you are planning. Conventional weapons still work well and aren't really diminished and ion weapons gain a bit more value. Thoughts?

ConnorsRPG
Topic Author

Sat 13 May 2017, 09:00

I was just reading more on shields in the Saga Edition Corebook and it is normal for shields to not be on, until activated due to energy drain. So I am not giving ships with shields any extra defense until the shields are actually activated.

This requires the Engineer to give 1 EP to Systems Op, who, if they choose to use the Shields Up action they simply make a Computer Use roll and get 1 armor for every 6 rolled until the start of the next turn. If using arcs = all ship attacks in that arc. If not GM can decide just one attack or all for round (or distribute the points).

I am going with an arc, but more in the description of things rather than hard graph mvt, though interested and following the thread on Hex battle grid too :)

avestite

Tue 30 May 2017, 17:22

The absence of shielding struck me as interesting given how fast ships in Coriolis probably end up going.  I'd make a case for some sort of 'navigational deflector' even if you didn't have 'battle shields'.

A speed three ship covers 30 au in 10 days.  Plugging some numbers into the spreadsheet I use for another SF game, that's 5 days accelerating and 5 days decelerating at somewhere close to 2.5 g...

5 days (5 days x 24 hours x 60 minutes x 60 seconds) x (2.5 x 9.81 meters per second) gives you a peak velocity of what, somewhere close to 10,000 kilometers per second...

Or, about 3% of the speed of light.

You hit so much as a gnat's privates at that speed...

No amount of armour is going to save you, only not being hit in the first place.