VoxenTass

Re: Spaceships & Speed

Tue 02 May 2017, 15:52

Try treating the asteroids as partial cover based on overall density and size? That way the lock would only be required for the targeting solution, as avoiding obstacles would be a part of the calculation. You also wouldn't need to track individual asteroids, and if you feel up to it, could also use the field to modify sensors rolls.

ConnorsRPG

Fri 05 May 2017, 07:11

Funny - I am writing a bunch of Talents for my Star Wars conversion ATM, and wanted to do some Pilot ones.

The glaring thing I too noticed was that Speed of a ship has NO bearing whatsoever on a ship? I was quite dumbfounded. Maneuverability does but not speed?

EVERY action during the Pilot Phase is ONLY modified by Maneuverability? Why isn't Advance/retreat based upon Speed? Would it be too much to use the Speed of a ship as a modifier instead of maneuverability for this action? At least that is what I am keen to try.

Garage
Topic Author

Fri 05 May 2017, 08:16

I think its due to the fact that once the initial engine burn has happened the ship is moving and keeps moving at the current speed until you use thrusters to increase/decrease the speed.

We start our game next Wednesday and hopefully "The Scimitar" will hold its own....

Sensei

Mon 05 Jun 2017, 15:49

I think the most telling explanation is simply that Speed measures the ship's movement over the course of an entire day, as JohnK pointed out. Over that kind of extended period, one ship's speed can be noticeably different than another's, even though they're both using graviton drives; during the course of a combat maybe lasting only a few minutes, though, the speed difference isn't going to be that noticeable to two ships already close to each other. The image makes sense if you think of big ships at sea; there can be a difference in speed, but it's only appreciable after a few hours of travel. 

You could always houserule that the difference in Speeds acts as a modifier to the Maneuver roll for the pilot, though. This would make Speed affect piloting in a practical manner during combats.