Books

Point of Arrash and Opor?

Mon 13 Feb 2017, 05:36

Hey all, loving the ruleset for the most part - just an odd niggly question, arrash and opor are both intoxicants which provide negative modifiers to skill tests (makes sense) - question being, is there any mechanical reason to actually use it? The description of arrash mentions "pain-relieving properties", but as far as I can tell there's no actual mechanical use for it.

Did I miss something? If it's just there for flavour then that's fine, it's just odd that it's included in the actual gear listings.

JTDimino

Re: Point of Arrash and Opor?

Mon 06 Mar 2017, 16:18

I think it's just flavor, with no mechanical benefits by RAW.  I could potentially see a GM ruling that would let you recover a small number of Mind Points maybe.  I had a player in a one-shot that used it just because it fit in with their character's addiction.  They happily took an hour-long penalty to their checks.

Kosta
Site Admin

Fri 10 Mar 2017, 00:49

Hey all, loving the ruleset for the most part - just an odd niggly question, arrash and opor are both intoxicants which provide negative modifiers to skill tests (makes sense) - question being, is there any mechanical reason to actually use it? The description of arrash mentions "pain-relieving properties", but as far as I can tell there's no actual mechanical use for it.

Did I miss something? If it's just there for flavour then that's fine, it's just odd that it's included in the actual gear listings.
You're correct - no real reason to use drugs to boost your PC. I'ts in gear to describe effect and for flavour.
Fria Ligan

JohnK

Fri 10 Mar 2017, 18:59

You're correct - no real reason to use drugs to boost your PC. I'ts in gear to describe effect and for flavour.
Hullo, Kosta,
This pretty much sums up how I feel about a lot of the stuff in the main rulebook.  Effect and flavour description are what a lot of the entries are about.  This is perfect, as it leaves things open for the GM and their players to work with as they see fit. :)
...As for the border, the border is wherever the fleet sits at the moment. (Downbelow Station by C.J. Cherryh)

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com

Kosta
Site Admin

Sat 11 Mar 2017, 15:11

Excellent! Glad you like it! :)
Fria Ligan
GZIP: Off