Garage
Topic Author

gear and equipment

Wed 31 Aug 2016, 06:38

Having read Coriolis: The Darkness between the Stars, you are introduced to small amounts of gear and weaponry, namely the Vulcan, Accellerator gun, cloned organs, comms and long rifles. The question i have is this, is there a comprehensive list of equipment (i like lists of equipment :) it makes a game feel like it's solid.)

thanks

Garage

baylox

Re: gear and equipment

Wed 31 Aug 2016, 07:15

Oooh, you've hit the motherlode with that question. The Swedish version has over 40 pages of equipment and weapons... roughly 1/5 of the entire rulebook (the Swedish version is divided into two books, if you didn't know already - one for rules and one for the Horizon).

Because of the sheer amount equipment is divided into common/daily equipment, medical and healing, tools and reparation, survival and colonization, exosuits and vehicles, surveillance and burglary, weapon modifications and then ranged weapons (incl. primitive weapons), weapon systems, explosives, missile launchers and grenade throwers, melee weapons, armor and shields.
Titta vad jag gjort! / Things I've created:
Coriolis - talanger och referensmaterial
Symbaroum - Unsung Heroes of the Abomitorium
Ur Varselklotet/TftL - mysterier & spelböcker

Greg H

Wed 31 Aug 2016, 07:20

... I'm ok with that.

Mutant Year Zero also had in the equipment list generic prices for services (the Gearhead to assemble something for you, the Enforcer to guard you, etc) Is there something like that as well?
“He who does not travel does not know the value of men.” – Moorish proverb

baylox

Wed 31 Aug 2016, 08:05

... I'm ok with that.

Mutant Year Zero also had in the equipment list generic prices for services (the Gearhead to assemble something for you, the Enforcer to guard you, etc) Is there something like that as well?
Not in the Swedish version, no. They have a list for living expenses, basically how much birr you have to pay each "month" for food and lodging.

Garage
Topic Author

Wed 31 Aug 2016, 09:53

Does that assume it's on the space station? Or does that cover the ship too?

baylox

Wed 31 Aug 2016, 10:27

It is very general and is a matrix where you choose where you are and how well you live and find the appropriate cost. It does not include the ship, though - those costs are extra (and detailed separately, in the space travel chapter).

Vainamoinen

Wed 31 Aug 2016, 11:29

Oooh, you've hit the motherlode with that question. The Swedish version has over 40 pages of equipment and weapons... roughly 1/5 of the entire rulebook (the Swedish version is divided into two books, if you didn't know already - one for rules and one for the Horizon).

Because of the sheer amount equipment is divided into common/daily equipment, medical and healing, tools and reparation, survival and colonization, exosuits and vehicles, surveillance and burglary, weapon modifications and then ranged weapons (incl. primitive weapons), weapon systems, explosives, missile launchers and grenade throwers, melee weapons, armor and shields.
Okay, now these 40 A5 pages probably translate into "just" 25 to 30 in the English letter format book, but this still sounds impressive. I must say, while Mutant's extreme nihilism in that respect (1.5 pages total, heavily illustrated, mostly weapons) was disappointing to me, the sheer extent of equipment in Coriolis sounds intimidating. A dish probably not served to players in full, I'll reserve quite a bit of time to read through those lists, and that's definitely a part of the PDF that I'll print out and bind as a separate booklet. 

Ah well, maybe I'll eventually end up giving players what essentially are standard NASA space suits anyway. Gold visor, super soaking diapers, the works. :roll:

baylox

Wed 31 Aug 2016, 13:30

Okay, now these 40 A5 pages probably translate into "just" 25 to 30 in the English letter format book, but this still sounds impressive. I must say, while Mutant's extreme nihilism in that respect (1.5 pages total, heavily illustrated, mostly weapons) was disappointing to me, the sheer extent of equipment in Coriolis sounds intimidating. A dish probably not served to players in full, I'll reserve quite a bit of time to read through those lists, and that's definitely a part of the PDF that I'll print out and bind as a separate booklet. 

Ah well, maybe I'll eventually end up giving players what essentially are standard NASA space suits anyway. Gold visor, super soaking diapers, the works. :roll:
Well the good thing is the categorization (each category also has its own list apart from the descriptions), so if you want things that can heal you then look at that list. Breaking into a place? Look at that list. 
It is a bit intimidating, but I've created my own sub-index (on a loose sheet) with the page numbers for each list to find it quicker. Currently the lists are spread out across the chapter. For ease of reading I would've preferred the lists on consecutive pages with all descriptions grouped in the same order after the lists (or before, for that matter, just not in between the lists). Something to push for in the English version?

Vainamoinen

Wed 31 Aug 2016, 14:46

Something to push for in the English version?
Naah, I think I'll use most of my push to get the Third Horizon timeline into the Atlas or core rule book and deal with the equipment as it pours down on me. :P

Question, though: Does equipment have clear cut manufacturers and/or type classification like serial numbers or model type names?

Krönikören

Wed 31 Aug 2016, 15:11

Something to push for in the English version?
Question, though: Does equipment have clear cut manufacturers and/or type classification like serial numbers or model type names?
Not in general, but there are some examples on cybertech, bionics and some weapons (for weapons there are one or two "named" guns that has some tweaks to their stats, eg. Described as a heavy vulcan pistol "Arax Omir" etc.)