Zapp

Re: A Dark Mind...?

Sun 28 Aug 2016, 21:32

Thank you.

Perhaps we should start a thread where we ask the Leaguers what changes (not rules changes obvs) they have made to the game? :lol:

(Actual changes to the setting, as opposed to additions such as incorporating their own stuff they wrote back when they were just Coriolis' biggest fans)

Zapp

Sun 28 Aug 2016, 21:41

Ok, maybe I misremembered. I especially don't remember that you must be a Fugitive - perhaps that's new with Free League's edition...
Now I had to dust off my old Coriolis (Järnringens version).. and you are correct, Fugitive was not a concept - you had "Mystic" and "Priest" if you wanted to start of with Mystic powers..

(I should probably add that in the new Coriolis, everyone can learn/be "blessed" with mystic powers in game!)
Yeah, "in game" as in "after play begins".
As I remember it, you were supposed to choose/create two concepts: you weren't "just" a Mystic, you were a Soldier or Explorer etc that just happened to manifest mystic powers.
This bit, at least, seems to have survived in that you generally wouldn't self-identify as a Mystic the way a D&D character might say "I'm a spellcaster". Sure you're a Mystic, but in the old edition you would say you're a Prospector or Mechanic or Fugitive... and in the new, you would say you're a Fugitive (that might once have been a Prospector or Mechanic a long time ago, in an earlier life :P)

I can get behind FL's version, I think, if not for any other reason than because the first thing you (can) do (with your XP) is buy yourself mystic powers, making that functionally equivalent to the old edition in most practical regards. And if you do, you will even have roleplayed your way to when and how you manifested! So no biggie :)

Greg H
Topic Author

Sat 17 Sep 2016, 20:44

Continuing this and after running across this article...

http://m.quietearth.us/?id=7930

...quick inquiry if you have a moment. Don't need the specifics but say you happen to go through a Portal without going into Stasis... is that something your character can come back from (presuming something substantial and nasty doesn't get you)? Or is it time to call in Nurse Ratched?
“He who does not travel does not know the value of men.” – Moorish proverb