Greg H

Re: Cybernetics

Wed 24 Aug 2016, 19:40

There really isn't much of a mechanical difference. But that doesn't mean biosculpting and cybernetics is the same thing - to me one is sophisticated, almost magical, and most importantly: graceful; while the other is grease, guts and blood... Even if both would give the exact same mechanical advantage they each have a role to play in a setting so filled with juxtaposition as Coriolis :)
Giger's Biomechanics. Sophisticated, magical, greasy, and bloody. :twisted:
...and so well done. There's a great story of when he had a collection of artwork during the Alien project and was held up at an airport in the basis they thought it was photos. Geiger looked at them in utter amazement and stuttered out "Where did you think I took these photos... from hell?"

Plus those leathery eggs have a darn habit of turning up everywhere... even did a cameo in Dr. Who...
“He who does not travel does not know the value of men.” – Moorish proverb

Vainamoinen

Re: Cybernetics

Wed 24 Aug 2016, 21:01

It's not just an aesthetic choice, sometimes more rugged and clunky tech is flat-out better in more extreme environments than the sleeker, wireless, sexier tech. .
If a world has any significant kind of debris in orbit, and the spacefaring folks usually do, you can forget about shooting satellites up, and there goes wireless. If technology has to be robust, functional and survive daily use, there goes sleek and sexy. :)

To force the Apple comparison, if I have to recharge that cyberarm every damn eight hours, I'm hacking it off. :P

Now I'm thinking cyber eyes with Arabic writing in the irises.
Now we're talking!