heathd666

skills question

Sat 20 Aug 2016, 15:07

if i am understanding this correctly there are only the 8 basic and 8 advanced skills. there are no "specialty" for any of the skills? what i mean by this is for example the skill culture. can someone "specialize" in culture by spending experience and have culture (Nomad Federation) in order to gain more dice when rolling or something similar? thanks in advance for the help.

Tomas
Site Admin

Re: skills question

Sat 20 Aug 2016, 15:46

if i am understanding this correctly there are only the 8 basic and 8 advanced skills. there are no "specialty" for any of the skills? what i mean by this is for example the skill culture. can someone "specialize" in culture by spending experience and have culture (Nomad Federation) in order to gain more dice when rolling or something similar? thanks in advance for the help.
That's right. Specialization is mainly done through talents instead. :)
Fria Ligan

Greg H

Sat 20 Aug 2016, 23:15

Continuing this conversation...

The "Faction Technology" book gave mention to "Proxi Technology, that can induce learning..." is this a technical means to either gain or accelerate the development of skills at a faster rate than natural experience point accumulation?

...minus the whole Surgeon General warning about Darkness Point accumulation of course...
“He who does not travel does not know the value of men.” – Moorish proverb

Kosta
Site Admin

Sun 21 Aug 2016, 22:17

Continuing this conversation...

The "Faction Technology" book gave mention to "Proxi Technology, that can induce learning..." is this a technical means to either gain or accelerate the development of skills at a faster rate than natural experience point accumulation?
There are rumors of pedagogic proxi-tech, which can imprint skills for a short duration but can also lead to madness in the worst case. There is no permanent way to imprint skills with proxi-tech - or at least that common folks know about ;)
Fria Ligan

Alphast

Mon 22 Aug 2016, 10:51

Is that a bit like the "daddies" from "When Gravity Fails"?

Kosta
Site Admin

Mon 22 Aug 2016, 16:25

I am not familiar with "daddies" :)
Fria Ligan

Umberto Octo

Mon 22 Aug 2016, 18:42

Basically software chips with pre-programmed info that can be used with neural implants.
"Se til helvete å komme dere vekk. Det er ikke en bikkje! Det er en slags TING!
Det imiterer en bikkje. Det er ikke virkelig! Kom dere vekk, IDIOTER!"

Kosta
Site Admin

Mon 22 Aug 2016, 19:46

Basically software chips with pre-programmed info that can be used with neural implants.
Something like that, but you will not need implants.
Fria Ligan

Alphast

Mon 22 Aug 2016, 22:29

So not really cyberware, then. Cool. Thanks for the answers Kosta.

Crosbie71

Wed 05 Apr 2017, 11:31

This is probably an obvious question, so I'm appending it to this thread instead of starting a new one:

When choosing skills, are you restricted to putting points only into those advanced skills listed in your character (sub)concept? I assume Yes, but can't see it written anywhere. Possibly I'm just being blind.

Otherwise, why wouldn't you tend to put points into advanced skills much more than basic, since if you don't you can't use those skills at all...

I'm sure this will probably play out just fine in practice, but I can imagine a player trying to 'game the system' by putting one point into every advanced skill (regardless of whether this would actually be a good idea or not). Is there anything to stop such a player doing that?
GZIP: Off