Greg H

Echoes of the Portal Wars...

Wed 17 Aug 2016, 18:30

How long ago did The Portal Wars occurred? It sounds like almost a generation. Given that wars are messy affairs at best, plus the chaos of what occurred at Odacon, I can easily see First and Second Horizon personnel being trapped in the Third Horizon... what was their fate? Are there Enclaves of First and Second Horizon citizens who have assimilated or is it still unsafe to let others know you fought for, or are descended from someone who fought for the other side? I can see a couple of hooks here...

...a First/Second Horizon history that serves as your "Personal Problem"...

...an old First/Second Horizon NPC with a secret (perhaps they have a historical factoid that doesn't match the currently accepted records.

...the characters encounter a group of pirates, they turn out to be war-weary First Horizon soldiers simply trying to stay alive and maybe garner some sympathy...

...why just stick with people? The characters find an awesome vintage First Horizon starship! It's got chrome and glass wall panels, even the lens flare feature!!! First habitable system you enter it turns out the last time the vessel was here it glassed several cities!
“He who does not travel does not know the value of men.” – Moorish proverb

Zapp

Re: Echoes of the Portal Wars...

Wed 17 Aug 2016, 21:51

The game treats all of that as distant memories... hazy and blurred... nobody remembers what really happened and what are just bad dreams...

You are probably completely free to come up with your own stories about that, since my guess is that the official material won't touch it at all.

Vainamoinen

Wed 17 Aug 2016, 22:41

Oh.

So, no concrete dates? Maybe not even a concrete future year that Coriolis is set in and therewith: No calendar or dates for the group's adventures...? :(

Ahhhh damn. The fuzzy 'dunno' approach to anything concerning date/time/place fit comparatively well in MYZ, but here it's a bit of a drag. Guess who invented the first real calendar at 12 lunar months with 30 days each... yup... the Sumerians i.e. the people of the later Middle East.

More precise timekeeping for Coriolis please! A timeline of events is kind of the minimum fluff requirement in a p&p. :P

Krönikören

Thu 18 Aug 2016, 00:09

Oh.

So, no concrete dates? Maybe not even a concrete future year that Coriolis is set in and therewith: No calendar or dates for the group's adventures...? :(

Ahhhh damn. The fuzzy 'dunno' approach to anything concerning date/time/place fit comparatively well in MYZ, but here it's a bit of a drag. Guess who invented the first real calendar at 12 lunar months with 30 days each... yup... the Sumerians i.e. the people of the later Middle East.

More precise timekeeping for Coriolis please! A timeline of events is kind of the minimum fluff requirement in a p&p. :P
I can't speak for the plans for the English version of the game, but as for the Swedish version they couldn't fit everything in the two first books and so a third book called "Secrets of the horizon" will be released (in August I think). The work in progress/beta is currently available to kickstarter backers (of the swedish version) and I've seen that there is a time line in there! :)
It starts at year -1000 counting from "today" and the first event is the departure of the ships Zenit and Nadir.
Start of the portal wars is -120 years (and going on for appr. 20 years.

But there is no official time line based on our own world.. If you want to picture Coriolis to be set in the future and not just a fantasy world/parallell universe I think you've got free hands to come up with your own!

Edit: By "I can not speak for the english version.." I meant that I don't know if the game will be released in the same format or if they might make room and put all three books in one. I'm sure all info will be translated and available! :)
Last edited by Krönikören on Thu 18 Aug 2016, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.

Umberto Octo

Thu 18 Aug 2016, 00:11

In the Google+ Group, Nils said
The basis of time is measured on the foundation of the station of Coriolis, that is Coriolis Cycles (CC). The current time is 66 CC (66 cycles since the foundation). The First Come use other calendars (a lot older) but the Zenithian is the dominating one. 
if that is of any relative help.

EDIT: Posted almost simultaneous with Krönikören's post above.
"Se til helvete å komme dere vekk. Det er ikke en bikkje! Det er en slags TING!
Det imiterer en bikkje. Det er ikke virkelig! Kom dere vekk, IDIOTER!"

Krönikören

Thu 18 Aug 2016, 00:16

In the Google+ Group, Nils said
The basis of time is measured on the foundation of the station of Coriolis, that is Coriolis Cycles (CC). The current time is 66 CC (66 cycles since the foundation). The First Come use other calendars (a lot older) but the Zenithian is the dominating one. 
if that is of any relative help.

EDIT: Posted almost simultaneous with Krönikören's post above.
Ah! This reminded me that there is also a time line for important events on Coriolis!

Also the time line I mentioned in my earlier post ends at year -5 with the Zenitians entering the third horizon...

Vainamoinen

Thu 18 Aug 2016, 09:33

Oh for the sake of the Icons...

...put the timeline in the English Atlas. :D

Zapp

Thu 18 Aug 2016, 11:04

The original vision (as published by the first Järnringen edition) was "here and now", and not a focus on a detailed timeline of ultimately not-relevant past events.

I for one hope that Free League doesn't buckle and include any connections to past Horizons and our own timeline. Events since the arrival of the Zenith is of course okay, and possibly an outline of the Portal Wars (painted with very broad strokes; hopefully one full of errors and propaganda and contradictions). But no info at all on the time when information flowed freely between the Horizons, please - I especially want Earth to be a completely clean slate for each person or faction to project its own dreams and wishes on.

The very soul of Coriolis for me is the dreamy quality; like we can't really be sure if it's legends past or the incredibly far future. Handing out actual details (such as which year it is in in Common Era counting only diminishes the setting in my opinion!

Like with Järnringen's Mutant and Symbaroum, leaving any such connections entirely in the hands of the players, while instead focusing on world-building without having to take any past evens into consideration is a genius move, in my opinion :)

Vainamoinen

Thu 18 Aug 2016, 11:57

The original vision (as published by the first Järnringen edition) was "here and now", and not a focus on a detailed timeline of ultimately not-relevant past events.
[...]
The very soul of Coriolis for me is the dreamy quality; like we can't really be sure if it's legends past or the incredibly far future. Handing out actual details (such as which year it is in in Common Era counting only diminishes the setting in my opinion!
Don't get me wrong, I don't care in particular for a concrete Christian calendar year the game is set in – i.e. the connection to "our" timeline. Anything above 500 years in the future makes connections to any past events mostly insensible anyway. And I'd rather guess that a milliennium has easily passed, so whether it's 2801 AD or 30,881 AD or 40k in the future, that's not what I find helpful to know.

However, the relative timeline they seem to establish in the expansions is, in my opinion, very relevant to building a credible scenario around. A timeline of events that actually mean something to the people in the TH. For example, today I heard for the first time that there can not be any war veterans from the portal wars around any more, because those ended a 100 years ago. That was e.g. not evident from the introduction sample chapter at all (though I hope the rule book would have clarified it later on)! "When the silence after the war was at its deepest, Zenith finally arrived in the Third Horizon" ... that could have been anywhere from five days to five years after the Portal wars ended, but I never thought we'd talk 50 here. And the Coriolis station to have been around for almost three generations... well fuck me running, that is all very new and very worthwhile information for me! :)

So, all dreamlike quality aside – I intend to mix the science and the fantasy like a madman – some pointers may be necessary after all. :)

Which would naturally belong in a basic scenario description, not a clear cut expansion. :|

Umberto Octo

Thu 18 Aug 2016, 18:21

I for one hope that Free League doesn't buckle and include any connections to past Horizons and our own timeline. Events since the arrival of the Zenith is of course okay, and possibly an outline of the Portal Wars (painted with very broad strokes; hopefully one full of errors and propaganda and contradictions). But no info at all on the time when information flowed freely between the Horizons, please - I especially want Earth to be a completely clean slate for each person or faction to project its own dreams and wishes on.
This. :) I like the canvas we as individual players/GMs get to paint, rather than having too detailed a history that limits the possibility of where the future will go.

50 years for the silence after war is about right.
Look at... oh, say... the former Yugoslav Republics. It's been more than 20 years since that hell, and in any city on any side of the battle lines, the wars are not at all far away.
I like the "isolation" of the Third Horizon not fully knowing its past, and that there may be one or three people who have lived that long (life expectancy would probably be increase from our time due to advancements in medicurgy), but I could believe a lot of the Old Timers' stories are taken as being just the wartime ramblings of an Old Timer ("They probably didn't even fight in the Portal Wars," their grandchildren would laugh).
I'd like to see the past as having reached the point of being mythologized, rather than codified. The Factions use what is know to be altered and twisted to their hegemonic desires...
"Se til helvete å komme dere vekk. Det er ikke en bikkje! Det er en slags TING!
Det imiterer en bikkje. Det er ikke virkelig! Kom dere vekk, IDIOTER!"
GZIP: Off