Garage
Topic Author

Re: Ships 2

Thu 18 Aug 2016, 05:48

When the pc's create their ship is there a standard package to start with then the players add modules to customise it as they wish?

Im trying to picture it in my head, as i'd like to get a set of deck plans drawn before the book comes out to give me one less thing to worry about :)

baylox

Thu 18 Aug 2016, 07:34

In the Swedish version there are a few completed "packages" where the ships are fully loaded with modules and options and have a set cost, but I think most groups would prefer to start from absolute scratch. The Swedish version comes with a few sample deck plans, but they kind of assume the packages otherwise they'll probably be off in number of passenger compartments and such. Pre-drawing might be difficult, unfortunately, unless you leave the interior of each deck (has this been mentioned? Ships have multiple decks) open to be filled out when modules are added.

EDIT: All ships, regardless of class, start with three modules though: command bridge, reactor and gravitonprojector and then have a number of free modules on top of this (free as in free speech, not as in free beer).
Titta vad jag gjort! / Things I've created:
Coriolis - talanger och referensmaterial
Symbaroum - Unsung Heroes of the Abomitorium
Ur Varselklotet/TftL - mysterier & spelböcker

Alphast

Mon 22 Aug 2016, 10:56

That sounds a really fun way to bring the party together. And I absolutely love the modularity idea.

Garage
Topic Author

Mon 22 Aug 2016, 11:09

Baylox,
I understand that the ships are made modular, but is it possible to interchange modules dependant on mission, or is once the ship made that's it? Assuming the Pc's own extra modules that is.

And I agree Alphast, it is a good way of bringing the group together, unless you decide to go down the Dark Matter line, where all the pcs wake up on a ship with no memory of who or what they are......

baylox

Mon 22 Aug 2016, 11:20

Baylox,
I understand that the ships are made modular, but is it possible to interchange modules dependant on mission, or is once the ship made that's it? Assuming the Pc's own extra modules that is.
No, not really. They're modular in the sense that they can be added to any ship class, but they're not like LEGO so you can take it apart and rebuild. You can add additional modules once you start your adventures (and save up enough money), though.

Garage
Topic Author

Mon 22 Aug 2016, 11:40

Thanks for the reply

baylox

Mon 22 Aug 2016, 11:49

No problem! Keep 'em coming if there's something else you're wondering about.

Greg H

Mon 22 Aug 2016, 19:52

Got a related question, are there basic rules for non-ship vehicles? Mutant Year Zero had some pretty decent, uncomplicated rules and I'm hoping something similar applies here as the ship is a character in itself while the gear is more like equipment by comparison.
“He who does not travel does not know the value of men.” – Moorish proverb

baylox

Mon 22 Aug 2016, 21:49

Got a related question, are there basic rules for non-ship vehicles? Mutant Year Zero had some pretty decent, uncomplicated rules and I'm hoping something similar applies here as the ship is a character in itself while the gear is more like equipment by comparison.
Yeah, there are basic vehicle combat rules (that are nowhere as complex as starship combat rules). Haven't had the opportunity to use them yet myself, though, but maybe Zapp or someone else has?

Vainamoinen

Thu 25 Aug 2016, 00:42

The combat chapter may even contain the totality of vehicle rules, and those could not be less complicated. You shoot at them like they're people, they just have a lot more Hit Points and don't receive crits. Only the space ships have their separate battle rules.