Vainamoinen
Topic Author

Inspiration: Stories/franchises, Music, Art ...

Wed 13 Jul 2016, 11:33

The Kickstarter is raging, but not many have set foot in the Fria Ligan forum until now. Maybe FL should advertise this forum a little more on the Kickstarter page? Anyway, here are my suggestions for inspiration material for your first campaign. :)

Firefly (TV series)
Firefly one of the the much-advertised inspirations for the Coriolis RPG. If you really haven't watched those 14 episodes, go get them immediately. Here it is not the Arabian, but the Chinese culture that pervades the known universe. And like hardly any other space opera, the ship as a true home is a central theme, as well as finding out who the characters really are.

Space Dumplins and Habibi (Craig Thompson, comics)
These incredible comics of Thompson's go together very nicely for Coriolis! Space Dumplins is a pure, over the top space opera with a strong ship-as-home theme, with the family nucleus at its heart. Habibi however shows Thompson's obsession with the Arab world, its stories, symbols and designs; while Space Dumplins is an all ages work of art, Habibi is just about as NSFW as it gets.

Prince of Persia (computer game, 2008)
This is usually the odd man out in the time honored series, and people tend to dislike it for a variety of reasons. I happen to like it best, not least because of its distinct Arabian Nights fantasy design choices. I'll definitely look at concept art a good bit and may even take some of the music into my group for Coriolis.
Last edited by Vainamoinen on Wed 13 Jul 2016, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.

Zapp

Re: Inspiration: Stories/franchises, Music, Art ...

Wed 13 Jul 2016, 14:01

The three sources of inspiration explicitly listed by swedish rulebook are: Firefly, Revelation Space and Alien. :)

Nils
Site Admin

Wed 13 Jul 2016, 15:37

Good list! Gotto check out those comics.

Here's a few things that inspired us these last few years (Kosta probably have a bunch more):

Books
  • The Revelation Space series by Alastair Reynolds. The scope and tone of his world building is similar to The Third Horizon, although they probably have more differenses than things in common. Still: tech, myths, archeology and horror is very much up the Coriolis alley.
  • The January Dancer and sequels by Michael Flynn. Very colourful and atmospheric space opera that in parts is perfect Coriolis inspiration. Takes inspiration from Celtic culture rather than middle eastern culture as in Coriolis, but still a great match in feeling.
  • The Dervish House by Ian McDonald. Set in Istanbul in the near future. Very evocative writing and a good sense of middle eastern culture. 
  • The Algebraist by Iain M. Banks. Altough very different in tone and setting it still shares a lot of themes with Coriolis. The isolation from other star systems due to collapsed portals, strange beings in gas giants etc. 
  • Dune by Frank Herbert. The colourful cultures, endless deserts and non-European design is very much fitting inspiration for Coriolis
  • Engines of God by Jack McDevitt. Altough lacking in imagination in the description of it's universe the plot is full of good stuff. Sense of wonder, grand mysteries, a extinct race of progenitors and space archeology. Perfect!
Film & TV
  • Firefly the obvious first reference. Essentially the Han Solo tv-series with cowboys and chinese influences. Very similiar in scope and focus, although lacking the mystical tones and eastern influences in Coriolis.
  • Alien. Maybe not the most obvious one (but certanly the most famous), but space horror and the run down, dirty setting is perfect for Coriolis.
  • Blade Runner. The street scenes are perfect for some parts of the Coriolis station.
  • Cowboy Bebop. Jazz and troubleshooters in a spaceship. Good stuff.
Games
  • Homeworld series
  • Blue Planet
  • Fading Suns
  • Bulldogs!
  • Traveller
  • 2300AD
  • Stars Without Number
Fria Ligan

Coupe-jarret

Thu 14 Jul 2016, 11:26

It seems that Coriolis is also inspired by Michael Straczynski's Babylon 5 TV series. A station where you'll find a round table composed of counselors with divergent interests. This will also help to create political intrigues.

Nils
Site Admin

Thu 14 Jul 2016, 11:46

It seems that Coriolis is also inspired by Michael Straczynski's Babylon 5 TV series. A station where you'll find a round table composed of counselors with divergent interests. This will also help to create political intrigues.
Very true, Babylon 5 was certanly a major influence for the setting of the station of Coriolis with political intrigues and such.
Fria Ligan

Umberto Octo

Fri 22 Jul 2016, 22:24

Thank you for the many sources and links.

I am currently reading Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds, which was suggested to me before I encountered Coriolis, but I just picked up a copy of Habibi by Craig Thompson because of this reference.

Eager to see the English rules/setting in a quickstarter, and I'm trying to get my friend in Sweden to maybe share the Swedish pdf with me (practice my language skills) before the English language books come out.
"Se til helvete å komme dere vekk. Det er ikke en bikkje! Det er en slags TING!
Det imiterer en bikkje. Det er ikke virkelig! Kom dere vekk, IDIOTER!"

Reverend

Fri 22 Jul 2016, 22:59

Hello friends! What about Enders Game? It might give you some good inspiration. I also have a Sci Fi Characters board on Pinterest in case you're wanting character inspiration.

http://pin.it/Do5qq1X
I thought you'd like this Board on Pinterest...

Vainamoinen
Topic Author

Sat 23 Jul 2016, 09:22

I just picked up a copy of Habibi by Craig Thompson because of this reference.
Have fun! It's quite a brick of a comic, and it's suprisingly heavy reading material, but it still is sublime. :)

Umberto Octo

Sun 24 Jul 2016, 02:38

Have fun! It's quite a brick of a comic, and it's suprisingly heavy reading material, but it still is sublime. :)
Habibi is incredible! Gorgeous illustrations that befit the subject matter. Lettered calligraphy that turns into geography and architecture... I wish I had a physical book instead of a computer file.
To add to the influence/references list, I came across this site that offers "summaries of A Thousand and one night (The Arabian Nights)" in brief, small tales without becoming a Cliff Notes-type academic piece.
"Se til helvete å komme dere vekk. Det er ikke en bikkje! Det er en slags TING!
Det imiterer en bikkje. Det er ikke virkelig! Kom dere vekk, IDIOTER!"