Boris960
Topic Author

Handouts!

Tue 25 Apr 2017, 22:32

I like to use handouts during my games so for my first games I wanted to create a couple of things for the players to find. In my story the players discovers that the nice couple running the video rental store FilmTajm in Stenhamra actually are undercover KGB agents who have stolen a prototype robot and plans to smuggle it out of the country, when investigating the store's basement they find a shortwave radio which is tuned in to a number station, further searching of the basement will let them find the chiffer to decode the numbers to reveal were the agents meet with the smugglers. 
Instead of just letting the players roll investigate or calculate to crack the code I recorded the sound from a video of a real number station on a old cassette tape and made a machine typed note with the cipher key on it. The code reads: Last message revived, Request granted, transport en route to location 3, *message repeats a couple of times*, Message over.

Have you used any handouts or are you planning on making some for future games? What kind of handouts would fit in the world of Tales from the loop? Please post your handouts or ideas for handouts here! :)Image

Karbonara

Re: Handouts!

Wed 26 Apr 2017, 07:02

Really fun idea with the tape. Did the group solve it quickly, or slow, and was the hint they got out of it strong enough to set them on the right path (probably for the showdown)?

I've done a few handout notebooks with mad scribbles and the like, and found that it's always a balance between fluff (which can put them on a wild goose chase if they think that's the key info), and main clue.
---------------------------------

Rollspelens andra guldålder är här!

---------------------------------
Spelutvecklare, skribent, och Fria Ligan hang-around. (Det bara blev så.)

Boris960
Topic Author

Thu 27 Apr 2017, 11:25

It worked quite well, they figured out the location in about 5 minutes. I think I will try to use cassette tapes more often since it was really appreciated by the players :)

Jeff Mindlin

Sun 30 Apr 2017, 01:37

As a player I love handouts. The add considerably to the sense of immersion.

Toast

Fri 05 May 2017, 20:16

I really like handouts as well and want to use them more often. I have made a small mystery that I will be playing tomorrow and have a few basic handouts about the true nature behind the story. I also plan to do newspaper articles/cutouts, puzzles and other clues in the future.

I also just want to share what a guy I know did for a game he is GMing. He wrote, bound and completed a leather journal from scratch. Took him a few months to finish but damn! :)

Jeff Mindlin

Fri 02 Jun 2017, 01:27

Hey - are his initials TC?
Was it a Traveller rpg handout?