zillionk
Topic Author

Skills

Sun 01 Jan 2017, 20:53

thanks for such a good alpha version, I like it so much. but I have a small question about skills of kids.

in the Tech, it looks confusing that BUILD/TINKER/CALCULATE can be different thing. I mean, how could it possible for a child use same skill for "create machines" and "computer programs", but use different skill check for "building thing" and "break/use thing" and "understand machines"? 

in my viewpoint, maybe divided it into MACHINE / HACK / ABSTRACT Knowledge can make more sense. MACHINE KNOWLEDGE take care all build/operate/break/modify machines, and HACK KNOWLEDGE will take care all software level, like the start of movie Terminator 2, John Connor hacked into a credit card. and ABSTRACT KNOWLEDGE will go with all other tech knowledge check, similar with EMPATHIZE, but about how to find weak spot for non-creature things.

any thoughts to make it better? :)

MarstaStaffan

Re: Skills

Fri 13 Jan 2017, 22:55

in the Tech, it looks confusing that BUILD/TINKER/CALCULATE can be different thing. I mean, how could it possible for a child use same skill for "create machines" and "computer programs", but use different skill check for "building thing" and "break/use thing" and "understand machines"?
We did our first play test today with the Swedish version of the rules and the confusion you write about became very real, both during character creation and during play. CALCULATE/Beräkna quickly turned into a general TECH/Teknik theory skill. The separation between BUILD/Bygga and TINKER/Mekanik became quite hazy with the interpretation of the rules becoming one being "constructive" and the other being "destructive". We would rather suggest separating them, perhaps into one being more mechanichal/combustion engine stuff and one being more electricity/electronics stuff.

Karbonara

Sat 14 Jan 2017, 01:10

We had similar interpretation issues and landed in:
* BUILD: Make something new from parts/code (always ends up with an item or program giving skill bonus)
* TINKER: Handle or adjust existing tech (we used it to rig a rowboat with an engine from another boat) - change tech/mech into something that better fits your needs.
* CALCULATE: Knowledge skill about surveying, learning something. An investigate fir tech/mech.

I agree that maybe a proper divide would be (if we just talk about the purpose of the slots):
* Make/Adjust "I just made it, I can't drive it"
* Break/Use/Control "I can drive anything, but I can't put it together"
* Knowledge "I want to understand what makes it tick"

In our group however, we have a coder and a mechanic, but that means they both have decent "BUILD" skill.

In one way, it would be nice if one is...
Build/adjust/use mechanics
And the other...
Build/adjust/use electronics & code

But from another perspective, I really like the whole
"Make things from scratch" and
"Work with what I have"
---------------------------------

Rollspelens andra guldålder är här!

---------------------------------
Spelutvecklare, skribent, och Fria Ligan hang-around. (Det bara blev så.)

MarstaStaffan

Sat 14 Jan 2017, 01:12

But from another perspective, I really like the whole
"Make things from scratch" and
"Work with what I have"
I like your interpretation. I think that would work for us as well.