aka_fatman

Re: House Rule Playing Younger kids

Sun 25 Dec 2016, 03:20

An optional story hook might be if the older kid is baby-sitting the younger kid and something happens. Girls mostly did baby-sitting here in the States, but occasionally boys did, too. The book series and show The Baby-sitters Club was popular in the 80s here and made baby-sitting seem pretty cool to get older kids to look after younger kids. That would be a way to have a non-related younger kid in the group.. or even a reason for the Mystery to take place if the kid goes missing.
That's a great way to explain the age descrepencies between characters (if some are 15 and others are 10). Aside from just having all the Kids be siblings.

I can imagine a situation where the Babysitters are at a house and they fall asleep. They wake up at midnight or one o'clock and the parents still haven't arrived. An uncomfortable situation slowly takes on a more horrific feel as the Mystery sets in.

Jynk

Mon 26 Dec 2016, 13:55

Also, and I don't know if other countries have this, but a scout troop might also explain older and younger kids mixed together. Or a sleepaway camp. A camp would be wonderful for Mysteries with all the crazy stuff that can happen there from silly things like the movie Meatballs to scary things like in Friday the 13th.
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire." - Charles Bukowski

Björn Hellqvist

Mon 26 Dec 2016, 14:07

Also, and I don't know if other countries have this, but a scout troop might also explain older and younger kids mixed together. Or a sleepaway camp. A camp would be wonderful for Mysteries with all the crazy stuff that can happen there from silly things like the movie Meatballs to scary things like in Friday the 13th.
A good idea! In Sweden, scouting has been co-ed for ages, so it's a good opportunity to mix boys and girls, too.
My life fades. The vision dims. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos, ruined dreams, this wasted land.

Jynk

Mon 26 Dec 2016, 14:11

A good idea! In Sweden, scouting has been co-ed for ages, so it's a good opportunity to mix boys and girls, too.
I don't think Scouting is co-ed here in the States (haven't been in Girl Scouts since the 80s, though), but I did go to day camps and church events that were co-ed, so similar. Camps or scouting trips might give a good excuse to be away from adults, too.
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire." - Charles Bukowski