Zack

House Rule Playing Younger kids

Sat 24 Dec 2016, 03:19

Seems it would be easy enough to lower the starting age of characters below age 10. Just follow the same creation rules giving them less attributes and more luck. Since 10-15 year olds have the same starting skill points, could also keep that the same for younger kids. Any thoughts?

joth1006

Re: House Rule Playing Younger kids

Sat 24 Dec 2016, 09:46

I feel it would be hard RPing a 6 year old, but maybe that's just me.

Zack

Sat 24 Dec 2016, 10:06

I feel it would be hard RPing a 6 year old, but maybe that's just me.
Yeah that would be a challenge though they would have a large pool of luck to work with. They could be a younger sibling of another player that they get stuck with....

Jynk

Sat 24 Dec 2016, 10:14

I think younger siblings might be one of the very few reasons older kids would put up with someone so young. Little kids are a liability, even if they are lucky. They're not strong, they're loud, and usually emotionally unstable. Things to keep in mind while playing younger characters.
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire." - Charles Bukowski

Zack

Sat 24 Dec 2016, 10:23

I think younger siblings might be one of the very few reasons older kids would put up with someone so young. Little kids are a liability, even if they are lucky. They're not strong, they're loud, and usually emotionally unstable. Things to keep in mind while playing younger characters.
Very true. The same would be true with a group of 15 year olds and one 10. Odd's are the 10 year old is someone's sibling or younger cousin, as 15 year olds would not generally hang out with a 10 year old. Thanks for the advice :)

pelorus

Sat 24 Dec 2016, 14:45

IMO, the younger kids are an excellent way of getting the players into the story. They can then be sidelined as the players get into the meat.
--
Writer of The 23rd Letter, SpaceNinjaCyberCrisis XDO and ZOMBI.
http://lategaming.com

Zack

Sat 24 Dec 2016, 20:58

IMO, the younger kids are an excellent way of getting the players into the story. They can then be sidelined as the players get into the meat.
Yes. And the younger kids will have way more restrictions and less freedom, early bedtimes, less places and things adults will yet younger kids go and do. Even at a carnival little kids are generally restricted to the kiddie rides, even if they were brave enough to try the twisted devil rollercoaster, odds are they would not let them on it.

pelorus

Sat 24 Dec 2016, 23:22

Yes. And the younger kids will have way more restrictions and less freedom, early bedtimes, less places and things adults will yet younger kids go and do. Even at a carnival little kids are generally restricted to the kiddie rides, even if they were brave enough to try the twisted devil rollercoaster, odds are they would not let them on it.
The number of japes I got into as a teen because a younger brother or sister spotted something and came back to tell me. 
  • "Found" a field of honey bee hives (got stung 5 times) and drew them away from the younger kids
  • Faced off a gang of 12 kids chasing my brother by holding my nunchucks in a threatening manner. Had no idea how to use them, but they didn't know that.
  • got introduced to a girl who wanted to talk to me. 
  • "rescued" siblings from a snowdrift
  • made money helping cars get up a slippery hill in the dead of winter. 
--
Writer of The 23rd Letter, SpaceNinjaCyberCrisis XDO and ZOMBI.
http://lategaming.com

Jynk

Sun 25 Dec 2016, 01:15

Very true. The same would be true with a group of 15 year olds and one 10. Odd's are the 10 year old is someone's sibling or younger cousin, as 15 year olds would not generally hang out with a 10 year old. Thanks for the advice :)
An optional story hook might be if the older kid is baby-sitting the younger kid and something happens. Girls mostly did baby-sitting here in the States, but occasionally boys did, too. The book series and show The Baby-sitters Club was popular in the 80s here and made baby-sitting seem pretty cool to get older kids to look after younger kids. That would be a way to have a non-related younger kid in the group.. or even a reason for the Mystery to take place if the kid goes missing.
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire." - Charles Bukowski

aka_fatman

Sun 25 Dec 2016, 03:16

I am thinking about having an intro session that takes place a few years before the main setting so I'm interested as to how this would work mechanically (so, the 13-year-olds would be about 10, the 10-year-olds would be about 7, etc).

But I'm also musing about having a weapon or an incident make the characters age backwards. They'd get younger every n amount of rounds and have to solve the Mystery before their body reverts to nothingness.
GZIP: Off