pelorus

Re: The ALPHA PDF - questions, comments, errata

Wed 28 Dec 2016, 00:48

So adults are either:

Protagonists: may have their own agenda but are generally well disposed towards the kids.
Antagonists: have their own agenda and are not well disposed towards the kids.
Everyone: just the normal run of the mill people who think kids should be in school or bible class or speaking when they're spoken to. And their hair is too long.
--
Have a look at "Nor Gloom Of Night" for T2K4 (A post-apocalyptic setting of hope)
CZTERY - 4 Mystery Scenarios for T2K4
Twilight Tangents - psychics and zombies for T2k4
http://www.lategaming.com/buy-the-books/

Vargtass

Thu 29 Dec 2016, 11:37

Feedback on Tales of the Loop - first character generation
Yesterday I started my first group of players in Tales from the Loop. Four players of different ages (45, 16, 14, 13) with little or no prior experience of Stålenhag's work, but all experienced roleplayers (mainly Dungeons and Dragons) took on the challenge. I am the GM, well-read on Stålenhag's work and an experienced roleplayer and GM in many systems, but none of Fria Ligan's previous games.
Character generation went smoothly. Types were chosen quickly – Troublemaker (14 yr), Rocker (13 yr), Weirdoo (12 yr) and Hick (11 yr). The simple rules were appreciated overall. For skills, the players opted to use up to three points in skills connected to the Key attribute and up to one in other skills, as suggested (I think) in the Swedish translation. The players felt this gave more weight to the choice of their type. But some would have liked mechanical differences between all Types, for example giving unique key skill selections to Types with the same Key attribute (Jock: Move, Force, Lead + one to three more; Troublemaker: Sneak, Force, Tinker + one to three more).
All had fun formulating Problems, Drives and NPC relations. In general, all immediately grasped that story is the main point of this game, not mechanics or optimisation.
They liked the idea of only being able to keep one Item between adventures (no Item-hogging adventurers), and the prospect of their treehouse Hideout becoming a legacy to a long line of Kids when these four eventually grow too old.
The relations between the Kids themselves stand out as the most important part, and a bit tricky when characters are not obviously likable or nice. But in the end all seems well so far – some minor conflicts brewing in the gang for future drama counterbalanced by strong friendships, camaraderie and protectiveness.
I realised how easy it will be to turn these Kids into really fleshed-out NPCs once they turn 16. This was especially clear for the glue-dealing troublemaker aiming for domination of the black-market for "interesting" lost-and-founds in Svartsjölandet ...
It was interesting to nudge the younger players into the 80:ies setting. We decided this is the summer of 86, so the murder of Olof Palme is very recent, and people worry a lot about the Chernobyl radiation (no caring parent will let their Kids run barefoot this summer). Things that surprised my younger players during character generation included: there are no inline rollerskates, the knife law is not yet in force, there are no driving licences for mopeds ...
All set for starting Summer break tomorrow later today ...

Sneaker

Fri 30 Dec 2016, 00:35

As many others have already stated, the work on the book is very good and I can't wait to get my hands on the finished product.

I haven't finished reading everything yet but there is something I noticed on page 27 that no-one else has mentioned so far:

I may be completely wrong since I don't know anything regarding Swedish geography but I couldn't find "Lilla Stenby" on the map on the Munso island. However, I saw a "Stenby" on the Adelso island and the description sounds like it is not located in Munso. Should it perhaps be moved to the Adelso section?

Also, it would be great if all of the locations mentioned in the descriptions were marked or clearly seen on the map itself. For example the Svartsjo Palace and Prison, the Defense Research Facility 14 and so on. I think it would be very helpful.

I'll post again if I notice anything else (the typos I've seen have already been mentioned in this thread so no point in repeating them. Unless of course you want to be certain you haven't missed anything :) )

Nilo

Fri 30 Dec 2016, 11:03

So excited to hear more!! :)

Vargtass

Sat 31 Dec 2016, 00:36

Report is forthcoming soon. We finished Summer break and killer birds yesterday, in one session including dinner break. I have not had time to collect my thought and feedback from the players yet, but all had a great time, a successful adventure, and a good scolding waiting for all Kids when returning home at ten o'clock pm.
Last edited by Vargtass on Sat 31 Dec 2016, 13:05, edited 1 time in total.

ysarius

Sat 31 Dec 2016, 06:03

P29, LARS RIBBING : something missing here ? :
" And heloves Riksenergi, or at least the nice roads they have
built, and the and fancy Christmas dinners they host
for municipal employees in the area."
Last edited by ysarius on Sat 31 Dec 2016, 06:24, edited 1 time in total.

ysarius

Sat 31 Dec 2016, 06:24

P31 ANNIKA MALTEMAN : : something missing here ? :
"Still, the kings of old rest peacefully in
their mounds, she’s surrounded by history in the form
of rune stones and grave fields."

Björn Hellqvist

Sat 31 Dec 2016, 06:26

That's a correct form; that it's older times is implied.
My life fades. The vision dims. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos, ruined dreams, this wasted land.

Jynk

Sat 31 Dec 2016, 06:55

Björn is correct. The noun of that is "kings of old." In other words, kings from times past. :D
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire." - Charles Bukowski

Nilo

Sat 31 Dec 2016, 14:11

Report is forthcoming soon. We finished Summer break and killer birds yesterday, in one session including dinner break. I have not had time to collect my thought and feedback from the players yet, but all had a great time, a successful adventure, and a good scolding waiting for all Kids when returning home at ten o'clock pm.
Wonderful to hear!