Victor Lopes

Re: The ALPHA PDF - questions, comments, errata

Sat 24 Dec 2016, 01:09

Also, on page 44, second column, below PROBLEM, it says "If you solve the Problem, the you must pick a new one before the next Mystery. ", but I believe it should be "If you solve the Problem, THEN you must pick a new one before the next Mystery". 

joth1006

Sat 24 Dec 2016, 09:35

Read through it last night. I am really happy with the system, I really like that you've emphasized the mundane.

I laughed when I read the Mystery about birds - I have been planning a mystery where the players find a cyberneticly enhanced bird since I first heard about this game!

Vargtass

Sat 24 Dec 2016, 11:55

Här kommer min återkoppling efter första genomläsningen!

Återkoppling Tales from the Loop

Generellt om reglerna - överlag är reglerna enkla och lätta att begripa. Undantaget är Conditions. Som jag läser reglerna finns det bara fem olika conditions (de som skrivs ut på rollformuläret), men flera andra nämns i exempel och bland Skills. Hur är det tänkt? Om det är fritt att välja adjektiv för en condition så är det inte klart vad som ska kryssas för på rollformuläret. Det här behöver förklaras tydligare i reglerna.
Trots att reglerna är enkla får jag intrycket under första genomläsningen att det finns en del specialfall och ad-hoc-möjligheter instoppade här och var. Reglerna skulle därför vinna på ett tydligt flödesschema över alla möjligheter i en generell Trouble-situation (forcing, extra success, helping, conditions, etc).

Generellt om Summer break and killer birds - stämningsfullt äventyr med bra platser. Nordic Gobi nämns flera gånger i äventyret innan det framgår vad detta är - platsen för magnetrinskeppet. Nordic Gobi finns inte utmärkt på kartan eller i innehållsförteckningen.
Strukturen skulle bli tydligare med en schematisk mindmap motsvarande dem på s. 69-70, med namn på locations och med de Clues som leder mellan noderna utskrivna. Jag saknar de färdiga rollfigurerna - de skulle hjälpa tidigt testspel.

Korrektur
s. 27: FOI ska vara FOA (Försvarets forskningsanstalt) 1945-2000.
s. 29: Dalarna University ska vara Falun/Borlänge University College (Högskolan i Falun/Borlänge, till 1995).
s. 30 är bildkällan fel, ska vara Lars Ribbing. Samma sida, Quote from Annbritt under Lena Svensson ska vara Quote from Lena.
s. 33: immediately mitt i stycket har ett bindestreck.
s. 37: i stämningstexten står "smell of corn", doften av majs. För svenska förhållanden känns majs ovanligt, kanske barley (korn) eller colza/rapeseed (raps) passar bättre?
s. 40: typsnittet varierar i Key attribute: Heart.
s. 46: under Anchor, sista raden: don't not heal ska vara don't heal eller do not heal.
s. 47: i exemplet används conditions Sad och Confused som saknas i reglerna.
s. 52: i exemplet används flera conditions som inte återfinns bland de fem i reglerna: ashamed, scared, confused. Har jag missuppfattat regeln? Behöver den förklaras tydligare?
s. 53: i exemplet används condition Humiliated, se ovan.
s. 55: sista raden i punktlistan över complications hänger löst.
s. 63: under Inspiration for mysteries ska "the Stephen King's Christina" vara "Stephen King's Christine" eller "the Stephen King novel Christine".
s. 77: teacher är felstavat (teatcher) vid pilen längst ned till vänster.
s. 85: 2:a stycket under Playing the mystery landscape, sumer ska vara summer.
s. 87: sista meningen i tipsen till spelarna är avhuggen.
s. 88: i Per Ängs citat ska Van Gough vara van Gogh. Sista meningarnaom attribut är oklara. Vad har kopiorna i andra attribut än Body?
s. 91: i beskrivningen av Lisa Tengby har coldhearted avstavats i onödan.
s. 92: bildlänken ska vara till Hans-Erik Thelin.
s. 96: bildlänken är felstavad, Nicklas ska vara Niklas.
s. 97: innehållsförteckningens andra punkt har ett "the" för mycket.
s. 117-118: dubblering av kartorna från s. 108 och 110. Är de tänkta som handouts? Känns onödigt, GM kan ju också använda 117-118.

VoodooSpecter

Sat 24 Dec 2016, 17:41

1) Character Types

In your previous games, there were a lot more mechanical elements to differentiate the different character classes. In this game the only real mechanical difference is the key attribute, and multiple types share the same key attribute. All of the other character elements are entirely up to the imagination of the player, which makes the choice of your Type far less meaningful than each of the open ended choices (Anchor, Problem, Drive, Iconic Item, etc.)

It would be nice to see specialized skills for each Type or some kind of unique ability (possibly even multiple to choose from in case you have two or more characters with the same Type). Or to have restrictions as to what types of skill checks your Iconic Item can give you bonuses on based on your Type.

2.) Items

I don't like the idea of regularly deleting all the items my players find. I think it makes sense for some exotic items to vanish at the end of their narrative arc. It makes sense for consumable or disposable items to break once they're used. But as a general rule, nobody who I've talked to thinks it makes a lot of sense. Mechanically I can see that the point is to avoid a situation where players can get a bonus on every single die roll in the play session. My solution is to limit how many items a player can bring along on any given play session, and force them to keep the rest either at home or in their hideout. Possibly with an option to swap unused items when they visit those locations.

I may also have them start each mystery with only their iconic item and have to return home to gather other items once they really start investigating or getting into trouble.

3.)Hideouts

I would like to see some stuff about improving your hideout, much like improving the arc in mutant or improving your ship in coriolis. I liked how that was worked into the XP system. Most improvements could even be very fluff based, focused on the narrative with no real game play benefit. But it would be a great little "real life" narrative to throw in and a good way to get xp.

menschi

Sat 24 Dec 2016, 18:08

Page 101: the text under Summer Birds needs an English translation, as does Summer in Boulder City on page 103 (text is in blue so I assume you might realize that already).

I don't mind the game mechanic asking that kids change their non-Iconic items every session. I like that in the Cypher RPG system -- it provides variety to both the player and the gamemaster (especially if the item has a particularly useful effect -- the gamemaster would just have to find a way to negate it in the next session so it doesn't derail the plot too much, and then the player could get frustrated). Also, that is actually suited to childhood -- kids discard things (and sometimes friends) in favor of something new all the time.
"His name is Bobo. He knows no mercy."
-- Simon White-Thatch Potentloins (a/k/a Peanuts the chimpanzee)

Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Sat 24 Dec 2016, 18:44

@Vargtass: There are only Four Conditions plus Broken. The other Condition names mentioned in examples are remains of an earlier rules version, and will be removed.
Fria Ligan

Vargtass

Sat 24 Dec 2016, 21:15

@Vargtass: There are only Four Conditions plus Broken. The other Condition names mentioned in examples are remains of an earlier rules version, and will be removed.
OK, thanks!
I suppose you could have a system with more choices of conditions but the same number of levels, for more variety. I still think it could be clearer when the GM are supposed to apply conditions. More guidance, please.

Fo example, you could go through the different conditions and give examples on when it is appropriate to apply them.

Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Sat 24 Dec 2016, 21:28

OK, thanks!
I suppose you could have a system with more choices of conditions but the same number of levels, for more variety. I still think it could be clearer when the GM are supposed to apply conditions. More guidance, please.

Fo example, you could go through the different conditions and give examples on when it is appropriate to apply them.
I think the rules are quite clear as to when a Condition is applied. It's the player herself who decides what Condition to apply. It makes no difference mechanics-wise (all Conditions have the same effect), but it affects the story.

In a way, you could say that all PCs have 4 "hit points", but each hit point has a little different flavor. :)
Fria Ligan

Vargtass

Sat 24 Dec 2016, 23:01

I think the rules are quite clear as to when a Condition is applied. It's the player herself who decides what Condition to apply. It makes no difference mechanics-wise (all Conditions have the same effect), but it affects the story.

In a way, you could say that all PCs have 4 "hit points", but each hit point has a little different flavor. :)
It's not too bad once the old terms are taken out. But from p 51-52 I get the distinct impression that the GM decides when to threaten with a condition, and that this is a specific condition. But on p. 47 it seems it is indeed the player that would make the choice ... On p. 54, it is quite clear that the player chooses a condition when the trouble is forced. It is for the first instance (p. 51-52) I would prefer more guidance. But I am quite certain that an update of the examples on p. 52 would be sufficient.

Otherwise I am impressed by how well you have caught the mood and themes in Stålenhag's books in the game, both the setting, the principles (oh, I really love those!), and the system.

I like the way that Problem, Drive and Pride are important expressions of your character, on par with attributes and skills. Therefore I think it is acceptable that the choice of Type has no more mechanical impact than your Key attribute. But I may change my mind after playtesting,

Overall a great effort with a very promising outlook at the alpha stage. Can't wait for the finished product to introduce my kids to the glorious 80-ies!

pelorus

Sun 25 Dec 2016, 00:11

Gonna post my errata here. And update.

P55, Grey Box. Extra text "about what seems plausible"
P63, Grey Box. "Christine"
P63, main text "beached" might be better as "stranded"
P63, main text. "DAPRA" should be "DARPA"
P65, grey box. "dad has locked" should be "Dad has locked"
P88, main text about Per Ang "Van Gogh"
P98, main text in orange - "DAPRA" should be "DARPA"
P102, main text in orange - "DAPRA" should be "DARPA"
P112, first paragraph under Clues. Lena is mentioned but it should be Majsan.
P114, Ship diagram. "MACINE ROOM" should be "MACHINE ROOM"
Last edited by pelorus on Sun 25 Dec 2016, 01:19, edited 3 times in total.
--
Have a look at "Nor Gloom Of Night" for T2K4 (A post-apocalyptic setting of hope)
CZTERY - 4 Mystery Scenarios for T2K4
Twilight Tangents - psychics and zombies for T2k4
http://www.lategaming.com/buy-the-books/