joth1006
Topic Author

"Bestiary"

Tue 20 Dec 2016, 17:18

Although Loop won't be a combat-based game, there are sure to be dangers of the more fantastic kind. Looking through the first book, also named Tales from the Loop (or ur Varselklotet), what things are you looking forward to?

I feel that I won't be using dinosaurs, but I'm hyped about incorporating the controllable robot the two kids in the field are using against a couple of police cars!

Björn Hellqvist

Re: "Bestiary"

Tue 20 Dec 2016, 19:42

I see seven potential "monster" classes: humans (grownups like police, security guards, etc), normal animals (dogs, etc), mutated animals, robots and mechs, dinosaurs, alien creatures from 51 Pegasi B, and that revolting goo in "Things from the Flood". There might be other dangers lurking, but this is what's mentioned in the books.
My life fades. The vision dims. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos, ruined dreams, this wasted land.

Zack

Tue 20 Dec 2016, 21:02

Yep seems like kids are going to be on the menu for several monsters. But I am sure they will escape at the last moment ;)

Bengt Petter

Wed 21 Dec 2016, 03:26

The "monsters" of my early teenage years in the 80's – I was a tiny bookworm – were the moped gang. They used to sit on a fence, next to to our school. Spitting, screaming, smoking, burping, and using snus (a moist powder tobacco product, still common in Sweden). They liked hard rock bands like WASP and most of them had long, dirty hair (more or less mullets), strong smell of hair spray and too much perfume or after shave. You could smell them from quite a distance. Many of them used trimmed mopeds, so you could hear – not without fear, I can tell you – when they were getting closer, usually fast. They loved to bully anybody younger. I did a lot to avoid them. Some people said they carried knifes (at least one of them did, I saw it once inside the school). Sometimes they "baptized" new pupils by flushing those (not me) who were not careful enough in the school toilets. Also grown ups feared them. There were stories in school about what they had done in previous years: throwing food in the cantina, cutting off a teachers tie, smoking and farting during lessons, trashing the school ventilation system. Most of the people in the moped gang lived in a quite bad neighborhood (a lot of social problems) near the school. I remember passing through this neighborhood – it was a huge shortcut – looking for threats around the corner...

Now, almost 30 years later, I understand that the kids in the moped gang were people dealing with quite rough conditions. Alcoholic or absent parents, learning problems in school. At least some of them have spent time in prison and have had serious drug problems. Some are even dead by now. But still, they were the terror of my teen age years. Perhaps more of a "random encounter" in RPG terms, or maybe main villains...      

Björn Hellqvist

Wed 21 Dec 2016, 03:35

The "monsters" of my early teenage years in the 80's – I was a tiny bookworm – were the moped gang. (...)
Yup, kids can be real monsters... We have the bullies in "Stranger Things", and scenario-wise, they are a great tool for the GM to turn the player characters into a tight circle of friends.
My life fades. The vision dims. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos, ruined dreams, this wasted land.

joth1006
Topic Author

Wed 21 Dec 2016, 10:20

The moped guys were the worst. I lived in a small village in southern Sweden where a criminal Motorcycle gang (Bandidos) was residing in an old shut down dairy building. I could probably use that in some way, hehe.

Bengt Petter

Thu 22 Dec 2016, 13:16

And there is also the drunk uncle. A terrible guy.

Jynk

Thu 22 Dec 2016, 15:05

I would think teachers, principals, and other school faculty would be a good place to start for "adult" monsters.
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire." - Charles Bukowski

Tovetjarn

Wed 28 Dec 2016, 11:57

A few other monsters might be parents in terms of mental illness, domestic violence, drug abuse or simply never-at-home due to work.
Don't just do something — stand there.

cwilsontrull

Thu 29 Dec 2016, 01:44

I dont know.. some of those kids in Simon Stålenhag's art are armed and are ready to throw down!