aka_fatman
Topic Author

Luck

Sat 17 Dec 2016, 08:47

"It's better to be lucky than good."
- Vernon "Lefty" Gomez

Luck - that strange, unpredictable and uncontrollable force that affects our daily lives - is set to play a pivotal factor in "Tales From The Loop" with younger, less skilled, characters having more Luck to influence events than the older characters. It's why young protagonists seem to walk away mostly unscathed from events that would leave others broken or dead.

How will your players view Luck? Are they used to using Luck in other games (either as FATE points or as a slowly-eroding commodity as in 7th edition Call of Cthulhu)? How much Luck will break the game? Will it spur our little heroes on into the face of adventure or will they squander it on simple things? And what suggestions do you have on how to use Luck properly?

joth1006

Re: Luck

Sat 17 Dec 2016, 11:21

We've been trying out the luck-rules in CoC 7th edition. I think the mechanic is kind of cool, but it doesn't really match the lovecraftian theme. It could work in Loop, though.

Mineral

Sat 17 Dec 2016, 11:27

We've been trying out the luck-rules in CoC 7th edition. I think the mechanic is kind of cool, but it doesn't really match the lovecraftian theme. It could work in Loop, though.
Luck will depend on the age of the child as well. Younger the child, less the attributes, more the luck. 
Wouldn't have it any other way, but damn is it cold today.

joth1006

Sat 17 Dec 2016, 11:33

Luck will depend on the age of the child as well. Younger the child, less the attributes, more the luck. 
I used to get beat up by a kid who was two years younger than me, so this seems unfair to me, hehe.

Smiley face, also Frowny face.

Mineral

Sat 17 Dec 2016, 12:42

I used to get beat up by a kid who was two years younger than me, so this seems unfair to me, hehe.

Smiley face, also Frowny face.
Nothing to be ashamed about. The most popular 'Buliled kid strikes back' story of the decade has been that Australian boy who was being bullied by a younger kid than him. You remember, the one where the bully was picked up and slammed back down?

Björn Hellqvist

Sat 17 Dec 2016, 12:50

I like the idea of Luck depletion. "Pushing your luck" during a Mystery should incur a sense of danger, that you can't get away with everything. The question is whether it is replenished in full and at what rate. Also, could pooling the party members' luck be something?
My life fades. The vision dims. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos, ruined dreams, this wasted land.

Mineral

Sat 17 Dec 2016, 17:58

I like the idea of Luck depletion. "Pushing your luck" during a Mystery should incur a sense of danger, that you can't get away with everything. The question is whether it is replenished in full and at what rate. Also, could pooling the party members' luck be something?
It would make sense. "Pushing your luck" is even a great way to describe it! Young kids getting more luck for instance, could be associated with adults letting them just get away with more.