aka_fatman
Topic Author

Archetypes and Social Standings

Mon 28 Nov 2016, 13:35

There are eight archetypes for "Tales From The Loop". We know that there's the Bookworm, the Troublemaker, the Popular Kid and the Weirdo so far. What will the other four be? And is it possible to straddle more than one of these archetypes? I can imagine a Bookworm being a bit of a Weirdo or a Popular Kid being a Troublemaker but can a Weirdo be a Popular Kid?

What will the social hierarchy be like in the school? If I'm a Jock, will my social standing be good with the athletic-types but bad with the musical-types? Can I ever be accepted by the whole school?

Bengt Petter

Re: Archetypes and Social Standings

Mon 28 Nov 2016, 13:51

I hope there will be true 80s style equipment for each archetype. Imagine how much drama you could get from a stamp collection, a BMX bike, NIKE shoes, a camera, a Donkey Kong game, a Salomon back pack, a secret diary etc. And of course, some of those things could be archetype based.

From the Kickstarter I got the impression that Grown Ups where one of the archetypes, but I might be wrong.

aka_fatman
Topic Author

Tue 29 Nov 2016, 01:16

I hope there will be true 80s style equipment for each archetype. Imagine how much drama you could get from a stamp collection, a BMX bike, NIKE shoes, a camera, a Donkey Kong game, a Salomon back pack, a secret diary etc. And of course, some of those things could be archetype based.
Yeah, I'm hoping to see those things too. With the unusual influence of the Loop, some of the retro technology - like cassettes - may be mixed in with future stuff. It'll be interesting to see how it all works.
From the Kickstarter I got the impression that Grown Ups where one of the archetypes, but I might be wrong.
Because of the backer level on Kickstarter? I wondered about that too. An option of playing a grown-up could be available. If people are trying to run a "Stranger Things"-type game may want to try a three tiered approach with the characters (the younger kids, the teens, the adults) to try to solve one Mystery from a few different angles.

Svante Landgraf

Wed 30 Nov 2016, 14:03

I would love to see a system for social standing that would govern things like encounters with bullys and being able to get favors from other kids. 
(sound of spatiotemporal holocaust)

aka_fatman
Topic Author

Wed 30 Nov 2016, 18:22

I would love to see a system for social standing that would govern things like encounters with bullys and being able to get favors from other kids. 
Well, we'll see how Fria Ligan decided to tackle it when they put out the Beta. There might be a mechanical component to interactions with bullies/adults/peers or it might be pure role-playing or a combination of both. It's all speculation at this stage.

joth1006

Fri 16 Dec 2016, 18:32

I hope there will be true 80s style equipment for each archetype.

I love the cover image where one kid is welding a "road pole". Very reminiscent of every swedes childhood.

Mineral

Fri 16 Dec 2016, 19:04

There is computer geek there as well. Maybe we could be looking at purely social cliques at school to define character types. Jock separate from Popular Kid, and so on. Though I'm going to bet that there's a way we can cross class and/or modify each class easily. 

Björn Hellqvist

Fri 16 Dec 2016, 20:13

I hope the background info for the Swedish setting makes it clear that there's a difference between Swedish högstadium and gymnasium (ages 12/13 - 15/16 and 15/16 - up to 18/19/20), and junior high/high school/college. Sports play a much smaller role, with no big brouhaha over school teams, cheerleaders, mascots, and so on. The social standings are pretty much the same, with a few alphas, a few bookworms and teacher's pets, a jock or two (but with less influence, with no school teams and all), and one or two at the bottom of the pecking order. Back in the 80's, one had much less influence on what school you could go to, which meant that working class, middle class and upper class mingled much less then. Think of the typical American high school movie. Swedish schools weren't like that.
My life fades. The vision dims. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos, ruined dreams, this wasted land.