aka_fatman
Topic Author

Influences [Books, TV Shows, Movies, Art]

Sun 27 Nov 2016, 12:58

There is a natural inclination to see the similarities between shows such as "Stranger Things" and movies like "Goonies" or "E.T." and this RPG. But are there other shows we can draw on for influence? Is it possible to mine a film like "Stand By Me" (1986) for ideas? Can we even look at films like "Brick" (2005) to get inspiration for a more noir mystery set in a school?

And, in thinking about Simon Stålenhag's art, was there other artists and/or paintings that we can use to conjur an image of the world that is being created?

RachelBostwick

Re: Influences [Books, TV Shows, Movies, Art]

Mon 28 Nov 2016, 05:13

How about X-files, just for that blend of real and weird. Or Fringe for the same. I've been watching 80s robot movies with my kids, like Short Circuit and Batteries Not Included. Art is harder. I have lots of artists that I love but nobody like Stalenhag. If anybody has more recommendations I'd love to hear them.

aka_fatman
Topic Author

Mon 28 Nov 2016, 05:32

How about X-files, just for that blend of real and weird. Or Fringe for the same. I've been watching 80s robot movies with my kids, like Short Circuit and Batteries Not Included. Art is harder. I have lots of artists that I love but nobody like Stalenhag. If anybody has more recommendations I'd love to hear them.
It is possible to have a touch of X-FILES/FRINGE/TWIN PEAKS with the setting. I'd think a TWIN PEAKS (although that's more 90's) would be fun; as you have a Federal Agent who will be investigating something in town. Wether the Agent is a benign or sinister figure would depend on what you have in store.

SHORT CIRCUIT and BATTERIES NOT INCLUDED would fit in perfectly (As would FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR perhaps? Maybe not). The robots in a mundane world is the angle we're going for.

Also, it's a touch behind the 80's but THE WONDER YEARS may be worth a revisit, as it deals with childhood in a fun way.

RachelBostwick

Mon 28 Nov 2016, 06:43

I've never seen Twin Peaks or The Wonder Years. I might have to put those on my list. Probably Twin Peaks first. Right now I am binge watching the Beauty and the Beast from the 80s. It's so hokey but I love the magical, just on the other side of this world vibe it has :)

RachelBostwick

Mon 28 Nov 2016, 06:48

And yes, Flight of the Navigator! I watched that movie over and over as a kid. I also just rewatched The Last Starfighter. Those are both a pretty different setting, a lot lighter I think, but the fun of a kid's adventure in the eighties can't be beat.

Bengt Petter

Mon 28 Nov 2016, 10:27

I see two completely different but possible sources of inspiration: Lars Tunbjörk (a Swedish photographer, who recently died, google and you will find his work) and Edward Hopper (you know, the lonely guy in the bar and so on...). To me, Stålenhag is quite in between those two. But of course, he has also added a sci fi and Cold War element.  

Another contemporary Swedish artist is Lars Lerin. He is also dealing with something very Swedish, such as this: http://ichbinanders.se/lars-lerin-och-v ... ig-sarbar/

shasooren

Sun 04 Dec 2016, 00:04

The book "Flash Forward" and the TV series that was based on it are a nice inspiration.

aka_fatman
Topic Author

Sun 04 Dec 2016, 14:44

I see two completely different but possible sources of inspiration: Lars Tunbjörk (a Swedish photographer, who recently died, google and you will find his work) and Edward Hopper (you know, the lonely guy in the bar and so on...). To me, Stålenhag is quite in between those two. But of course, he has also added a sci fi and Cold War element.
Those Lars Tunbjörk pieces were incredible. A lot of day-to-day life stuff that was slightly off-kilter. People facing away from the camera, doing slightly odd things and it made those photographs at once surreal and yet familiar.
Another contemporary Swedish artist is Lars Lerin. He is also dealing with something very Swedish, such as this: http://ichbinanders.se/lars-lerin-och-v ... ig-sarbar/
I wasn't as taken in with the Lars Lerin stuff. His pieces were good but I think the muted colour palettes didn't really work for me in this context.

aka_fatman
Topic Author

Sun 04 Dec 2016, 14:46

The book "Flash Forward" and the TV series that was based on it are a nice inspiration.
I kinda liked "Flash Forward". I saw a few episodes and they were enjoyable but I never saw the end (it was only one season, right?) Do we know if we're going a time-travel route with "Tales From The Loop"? I kinda hope we do.

shasooren

Sun 04 Dec 2016, 20:38

I liked the book better. I think that one is more related to Tales from the Loop.