aka_fatman
Topic Author

Things From The Flood - [Into The 90's]

Sun 27 Nov 2016, 11:40

At this stage, we've yet to see if there will be a "Things From The Flood" - a look at "Tales From The Loop" in the 90's.

What would we like to see from this supplement, if it comes out at a future date? Will we see the same characters from "Tales From The Loop" as young adults, making their way into jobs, or studying at universities? Will there be a departure from Mälaröarna as they see the world? And how much departure from 'our' reality should we expect? And - most importantly- what would we like to see appear on THIS soundtrack?

Björn Hellqvist

Re: Things From The Flood - [Into The 90's]

Sun 11 Dec 2016, 14:05

I got the book earlier this week, and have read it. The flooding provides a great setting, but there are also some questions that arise. It seems like robotics and AI technology are on par or better than the situation in the real world some 20 years later, yet there's very little impact on contemporary computer technology and IT. I guess the particle accelerator tech can be found in other countries (it would be a great export for ASEA [from 1988: ABB], which logically would be the to go builder of projects like that, being the Swedish equivalent of Westinghouse), but it seems like the flooding was a local phenomenon. The polar shift of 2001 affected the whole world, but it's unclear whether it was just the magnetrin ships, or the loop tech as well.
My life fades. The vision dims. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos, ruined dreams, this wasted land.

aka_fatman
Topic Author

Tue 13 Dec 2016, 18:15

Looks like this HAS been announced on the Kickstarter now with 48 hours left to go. Exciting times!

RachelBostwick

Tue 13 Dec 2016, 19:54

What an awesome final stretch goal. Something amazing to look forward to!

aka_fatman
Topic Author

Wed 14 Dec 2016, 03:46

What an awesome final stretch goal. Something amazing to look forward to!
I put this topic up as a hopeful aside but - from the looks of it - it's gone past the line, with 24 hours to spare.

RachelBostwick

Wed 14 Dec 2016, 08:25

Yes, well past it now! How exciting! When they announced it as a stretch goal I thought right away of you posting it here weeks ago. Good call. :)

aka_fatman
Topic Author

Fri 16 Dec 2016, 03:48

Yes, well past it now! How exciting! When they announced it as a stretch goal I thought right away of you posting it here weeks ago. Good call. :)
Well, they have Simon Stålenhag's artwork already, and a base of players and GMs who are already interested in exploring the Loop, so it made sense to offer this product. In any case, I'm happy.

aka_fatman
Topic Author

Tue 20 Dec 2016, 05:03

Things from the Flood timeline:

Late 1994: Riksenergi is privatized and the name is changed to Krafta.
October 1994: The Loop is shut down.
Winter of 1994-95: Dark water floods basements, cellars, and low-lying land close to the Loop, the local population is evacuated.
Mid-1990's: AI pogroms in Russia cause robots ("vagabonds") to migrate. Some of them end up in Sweden, where they settle like metal illegal aliens.
January 1996: An incident prompts the Police to round up all "vagabonds" and have them destroyed.
1996: A mysterious plague affects robots, machinery and electronics in the flooded area. There's speculation that it is caused by some sort of virus that originated from 51 Pegasi B, after a failed portal experiment. Strange, insectoid creatures appear.
Spring 1997: Swedish Army bots arrive to help Krafta clear the area.
October 1998: The area is declared cleared and safe. All above-ground installations have been dismantled, while the Loop and other underground facilities have been filled in with concrete.
2001: A magnetic polar shift wrecks magnetrin shipping for good.

Roleplaying in the 1990's setting would mean more danger, suitable for older characters (about 15 years old). Perhaps younger siblings of the kids who experienced the mysteries in the late 1980's?
Copied and pasted from another chat. Corralling all info relating to "Things From The Flood" here.