BlissRage
Topic Author

Bitter Reach Seal Question

Fri 28 Jan 2022, 01:04

So . . . the possibility of destroying the seals, not destroying the seals, or destroying some seals and then realizing you want to stop are the overarching driver for the Bitter Reach campaign.

When I think about it in preparation for running the campaign, it seems like a "good" party might very quickly decide not to break the seals. The Redrunners and the Orcs don't want you too . . . the frost giants habitat would be screwed. And so, let's say there is a party that doesn't want to break the seals . . .

Has anyone run it with that situation?

It seems like not destroying the seals takes away the motivation to go through danger . . . like . . . why would party go through Bleakness Keep? And if they don't, that's a lot of cool material unused. And if they are in pursuit of other treasure hunters or something like that, does that play out well, is it fun?

Just looking for some real-play GM banter to suss out my prep and feeling that the PCs kind of "have" to break seals (and when I think "have" I know I am being limited in my thinking).

Farydia

Re: Bitter Reach Seal Question

Fri 28 Jan 2022, 17:49

There are many factions in the campaign and some of those want the seals broken, others don't know that it's bad. I am confident that, should we play this after Raven's Purge, my group of idealistic treehuggers ;) will try to protect the seals as soon as they realize what breaking the seals means. (I might be wrong, though, they manage to surprise once in a while.) In any case, that doesn't mean, others won't try, so your group might go out of their way to protect the seals. Or they do not yet realize that they shouldn't continue on this path and think breaking them is actually good. A race against time against others working against your group - that sounds like classic hero material to me and even more exciting than just following your own goals. The meaningful interaction with the many factions and NPCs is what makes FL so much fun to run, imo!

BytomMan

Fri 28 Jan 2022, 19:38

We’re playing Ravens Purge first, so one way I’m setting it up is to make the elves and the Redrunners more adversarial to the party. That way, they’ll be less likely to want to aid them later by preserving the seals.

BlissRage
Topic Author

Mon 07 Feb 2022, 01:10

I'm open to whatever players want to do of course, but the adventure sites are written in a way that the seal itself and sometimes immediate area are tilted toward party trying to break the seal. If party is saying "hold on, we're not doing this" . . . then the weird thing is the guardians are adjacent (albeit compelled) allies of a sort. Well, it's a bridge to cross when we get there. Emergent gaming means no overthinking in advance so I won't LOL.