Spat
Topic Author

Is it possible to use Berserker several times in a combat ?

Fri 15 Oct 2021, 12:54

Hello,

let's imagine a Character with Berserker and Unbreakable Talents.
If this PC is broken a first time in the combat, he uses Berserker to keep fighting.
Then he is broken a 2nd time, I assume Berserker stops, he then uses Unbreakable to keep fighting, without being Berserk.
He could also be healed...
Then he is broken a 3rd time : can he get up once agin, using Berserker another time ?

RAW I think he can. RAI I think he shouldn't.
Is there an official ruling about this ?
I would like an elegant way to rule "only one Berserk" per fight.

Thanks for your help.

Fenhorn

Re: Is it possible to use Berserker several times in a combat ?

Fri 15 Oct 2021, 13:11

There is no official rule about this situation, specifically. Technically this could happen, but personally I would say no to it, but it is one of those GM discretion things.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Konungr

Sat 16 Oct 2021, 05:33

On the other hand, the more often someone gets broken the more likely they are to die from their critical injuries. Let them keep getting back up. See what happens.

JohanR

Sat 16 Oct 2021, 10:53

On the other hand, the more often someone gets broken the more likely they are to die from their critical injuries. Let them keep getting back up. See what happens.

Unless they also go Lucky. Which is a very good route to take if you aim for a Berserker and Unbreakable combo.

Spat
Topic Author

Sat 16 Oct 2021, 11:07

Well, my goal is neither to kill the PC, neither to see him build an over potent combo.
So I will limit it to 1 Berserker until he can have a rest.

Konungr

Sat 16 Oct 2021, 19:02

Unless they also go Lucky. Which is a very good route to take if you aim for a Berserker and Unbreakable combo.
Lucky does create problems. I house rule both lucky and executioner to work differently for that reason. No stacking bleeding foreheads for my players.

Konungr

Sat 16 Oct 2021, 19:04

Well, my goal is neither to kill the PC, neither to see him build an over potent combo.
So I will limit it to 1 Berserker until he can have a rest.
Its not YOU who kills the PC. Its the PC who gets himself killed. Its a very important distinction that i think many GMs struggle with. If the players do things that risk their life the GM shouldn't pull punches to save them. A world without consequences isn't anywhere near as interesting.

Spat
Topic Author

Sat 16 Oct 2021, 21:11

That's not what I meant. I don't feel going Berserk after having been broken, gone berserk, and broken again is very realistic and immersive.
I feel it is a rule side effect I am not interested in, neither am I interested by the rule side effect consequence to see the character killed.
Thank you for for DMing lesson anyway !
good game.

pellejones

Tue 02 Nov 2021, 00:01

We ran into Berserker lvl 3 + Lucky lvl 3 last session. That was... interesting..

Konungr

Mon 29 Nov 2021, 23:38

Generally speaking, I really dislike the way Lucky and Executioner work.

Both of those talents function by removing the chance from a major mechanic of the game. You guarantee death or guarantee a harmless scratch on your forehead. The major risks of critical injury are wholly mitigated.

I have house ruled those talents to work like this...

Lucky/Executioner.
Each rank of these talents offers a way you can modify the roll on the critical injury tables by spending a WP. With higher ranks you can use each effect independently. Each effect has it's own 1 WP cost. So with rank 3 you could use all 3 effects, in any order, for the cost of 3 WP or choose that it's good enough and accept the result at any time. Each rank may only be used once on a single critical injury roll.

1)
For 1 WP you can reroll the result on the critical injury table. You may choose to accept either result.

2)
For 1 WP you can switch the numbers on the critical injury table. (I.E. a 63 will become a 36).

3) For 1 WP you can move your result up or down a single step on the critical injury table. (I.E. A Critical Injury - Stab result of Pierced Eye could be changed to Skewered Groin or Impaled Shoulder.)

The fact that each rank/effect costs WP puts a limit on how these can come into play. And since none of them just let you pick what you want you still get some random chance. Though many ways to mitigate that randomness depending on how much WP you want to spend on it. They are still great talents. They are just not the get out of jail free card talents that they are in the book.