Quorlox
Topic Author

Strangling vine

Sun 22 Aug 2021, 18:30

The strangling vine (GM guide, p. 118) is described as an ambush predator, but doesn't have Stealth as a skill; mechanically, how should its ability to avoid detection long enough to launch an ambush be handled? Simply use Agility for its Stealth?

Fenhorn

Re: Strangling vine

Sun 22 Aug 2021, 22:11

An agility test could of course work, that is what you normally do if someone doesn't have the skill. Another solution here is, because it is a plant, instead of a scouting roll to see the plant (before it attacking you), you let the one of the player make a lore check to see if he identify the vines in safe distance so he can walk around the area.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Quorlox
Topic Author

Sun 22 Aug 2021, 22:28

So is the plant just bad at hiding? Maybe it preys mostly on animals? I like the Lore idea. I'm still trying to understand the full scope of the skill since it the description seems focused on legends and there just aren't enough rolls related to legends to make that seem worthwhile, but that might be another post. :D

Konungr

Sun 22 Aug 2021, 23:38

The strangling vine is not intelligent. It's literally a plant. Venus fly traps, poison ivy, poison oak. These things don't "hide". They just exist and things ultimately stumble into their area for interaction. That's what this is. The lore roll to correctly identify it is the method that makes the most sense.