Quorlox
Topic Author

Re: Thematics of Willpower economy

Mon 23 Aug 2021, 12:32

So for True Grit, is it the final result after however many pushes that determines WP gained, damage inflicted, etc.?

Fenhorn

Mon 23 Aug 2021, 12:39

So for True Grit, is it the final result after however many pushes that determines WP gained, damage inflicted, etc.?
Yes. it is still only one skill roll. A push only gives one more chance (or more than one with True Grit) of get successes but also damage (and with that WP), but it is still only one skill roll.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

JohanR

Tue 24 Aug 2021, 22:56

The problem with allowing pushed rolls in combat, but trying to avoid them in calm and less dire situations, is that it highly favors Strength and Agility as most combat skills are connected to these attributes.
So the best way to build any spell caster will then be to pump these two attributes..

...but it might of course still be better than the alternative of allowing pushed rolls out of combat, as this instead leads to more trivialized survival and Willpower overflow.

I'm just giving the reasons for why you might want a house rule here.
Since I found Strength to generally already be a top attribute (as it gives carry capacity and hit points on top of skills) and Agility (as you are either ranged, or if melee you can push rolls like dodge just to gain Willpower), while Wits and Empathy are mostly good for their skills. I would rate Wits slightly better than Empathy. Also note that Empathy comes with a drawback, as an Empathy roll can be a hindrance. Note that I am not saying that no one should have high Empathy, Manipulation can likely be a party's most powerful skill, but a party where everyone goes max Strength and one maxes Empathy, will be better than one where everyone goes max Empathy and one maxes Strength.

So if you don't go as far as Reforged Power, then I would perhaps keep everything as it is, and limit out of combat skill pushes (and perhaps rolls), but then as a house rule when gaining XP after a session, also gain or loose an equal amount of Willpower up to some limit* set by Wits and Empathy. Then I think that would balance the power of these attributes a bit. A high Str+Agi lets you gain a lot of WP but loose them after a session, and a high Wits+Emp lets you start each session with more, but regain less during them.

If you need a thematic reason. A high Str+Agi character is perhaps more driven by rage, and Willpower decreases when they are out of action, while a high Wits+Emp character renews himself by finding inner peace and calm.

*What that limit should be I don't know.. (Wits+Emp)-3?

Quorlox
Topic Author

Wed 25 Aug 2021, 23:45

I'm still learning the system so I can't comment on the impact of such a house rule, but am interested in understanding the possibilities.

Konungr

Thu 26 Aug 2021, 00:05

I am sort of on the fence about some kind of hybrid forbidden Lands/Coriolis. Where items have a crit rating (and successes can be spent to trigger a crit instead of dealing extra damage) and health is a combination of str + Agi and a mental health bar that is a combo of wits + emp.

People end up with more overall health and survive longer but triggering crits can cause a lot of problems even if your not broken... including killing you!

Lucky and such would need to be retooled.

Fenhorn

Thu 26 Aug 2021, 00:10

I have played 56 sessions (and 26 alpha-test sessions) and I don't do anything special to "monitor" this. When it comes to the journey skill rolls, my players roll Lead the Way and Make Camp rolls, rarely any of the gathering food skill rolls because they have a had stronghold for many of the sessions where they can get food every time they passes by. They have died a few times and have also changed characters a couple of times and they have played most of the professions and they (regardless of profession) have gained and spent WP in a nice and good pace during all those sessions, there has been no problem at all.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore