PsionicRanger
Topic Author

Meta Knowledge for players

Sat 17 Jul 2021, 18:15

Hello, all forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere. I'm new to both Forbidden Lands and this message board. Our group played our first session recently, and we have a druid in the party. The Druid is a Rank 2 in Shapeshifter. The party was given the job of clearing out an area filled with large rats. The druid cast Beastmaster to command the giant rats to leave the area. Would the/Should the player casting the spell know how many WP to use before casting the spell? If the spell says you can't control an animal with strength higher than twice your power level, would the character automatically know the strength of the animal they are trying to control? Or do they have to guess?

Our group wants to keep things within the spirit of the game, so it would be nice to hear how other people handle information like this.

Fenhorn

Re: Meta Knowledge for players

Sat 17 Jul 2021, 22:16

I don't tell my players the stats of my NPCs, animals or monsters, although they will notice it (for NPC and animals) when I make skill rolls (they see the number of base dice). So in our group, when the druid cast the spell, I say if his power level is enough or not. Perhaps a successful animal handling roll could give the druid the information before he cast the spell.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Konungr

Sun 18 Jul 2021, 17:00

Game mechanic knowledge that does not directly relate to the players own character should always be hidden knowledge.

PsionicRanger
Topic Author

Sun 18 Jul 2021, 21:56

Game mechanic knowledge that does not directly relate to the players own character should always be hidden knowledge.
Therein lies the question then--would this be considered "game mechanic knowledge that relates directly to the player?
I don't tell my players the stats of my NPCs, animals or monsters, although they will notice it (for NPC and animals) when I make skill rolls (they see the number of base dice). So in our group, when the druid cast the spell, I say if his power level is enough or not. Perhaps a successful animal handling roll could give the druid the information before he cast the spell.
Would the spell be wasted if the power level is not enough? Would they lose their spot and have to wait until the next round to try again? Would you let them spend more WP if they have them?

Konungr

Mon 19 Jul 2021, 03:45

Therein lies the question then--would this be considered "game mechanic knowledge that relates directly to the player?
No. The player has all the mechanics for casting the spell. The stat block of other creatures is not their own character.

They don't get to know how many dice the enemy rolls when the enemy attacks or dodges or whatever. So why should this character get to know how high the attribute levels are on monsters?