silverfoxdmt73
Topic Author

New Talent help sought...

Fri 14 May 2021, 10:29

Hi,

I'm working on a new talent for each Profession, one that gives temporary aid to the adventurer in the form of a Contact or Connection to an NPC or group.

I want to give each Profession the choice of three different people or organisations that would be linked in some way to the Profession, for example for the Fighter I was thinking of a Healer, a Smith and a Mercenary, each Ranked from 1-3 giving some form of temporary or minor benefit to the adventurer.

What I would like to ask, is what 3 different Connections would each of the other Professions have? Just looking for some examples that would feel logical - Hunters may have formed a connection to a peddler to sell their pelts to, maybe someone who can guide them through some otherwise dangerous terrain, or someone in a settlement to provide equipment and supplies at a lower price maybe?

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Mr Oldtimer

Re: New Talent help sought...

Fri 14 May 2021, 10:38

Well, you could always say that one of the contacts for each profession is another character in the same profession. People who they know through their trade, teachers or someone they've worked with.

silverfoxdmt73
Topic Author

Fri 14 May 2021, 15:27

Well, you could always say that one of the contacts for each profession is another character in the same profession. People who they know through their trade, teachers or someone they've worked with.
That makes sense, yeah.

For the fighter I'm including a mercenary/sell-sword who would fight with the adventurer.

Another idea is for the Rogue profession to have a Black Market connection (to fence their stolen goods), a Corrupt Watchman (to get them out of jail or to look the other way) and maybe someone on the Thieves Guild (for protection and new jobs)... Something like that anyway.

Mr Oldtimer

Fri 14 May 2021, 15:51

Those are good options as well. Be mindful of how big settlements there are in your campaign though. The Forbidden lands are generally depicted as an "after the catastrophe" setting with few and small settlements, barely in touch with each other. That means it might be hard to draw upon your talent if not in the right village or if your setting lacks wide spread guilds. Rather, it might be "know of which one would be the most likely place in this village to recruit a sword for hire?" or having the knowledge to ask around for someone to buy stolen goods, but in a way which won't draw unwanted attention to one self, knowing whom and how to ask.

silverfoxdmt73
Topic Author

Fri 14 May 2021, 16:42

Those are good options as well. Be mindful of how big settlements there are in your campaign though. The Forbidden lands are generally depicted as an "after the catastrophe" setting with few and small settlements, barely in touch with each other. That means it might be hard to draw upon your talent if not in the right village or if your setting lacks wide spread guilds. Rather, it might be "know of which one would be the most likely place in this village to recruit a sword for hire?" or having the knowledge to ask around for someone to buy stolen goods, but in a way which won't draw unwanted attention to one self, knowing whom and how to ask.

Yeah. This is for a homebrew setting of mine, but it would be good if I can get them to fit with my regular FbL group too...

Some of them will be pretty limited in scope, as they may only work in a settlement/stronghold, or out on the road. But hopefully, I can come up with something for each Profession that makes it worthwhile taking.

Konungr

Tue 18 May 2021, 12:14

I feel like instead of making a ton of talents that all do the same thing this should be one general talent that can just be tailored to the character taking it.

michael

Tue 18 May 2021, 13:59

Just throwing out the idea that you make CONTACTS something every character gets, that you define during character creation entirely seperate from TALENTS. It could be as easy as give the contact a name, a profession or area of influence then assign it two values (Influence and Relationship) but from a single pool of points. Your players get to establish their own contacts which can be entirely unrelated to their profession. It could be just about anything.

• INFLUENCE - how good they are at what they're doing (what's the quality of help I can get from this person?).
  • RELATIONSHIP - how important is the relationship between them (how easy is it to receive help?)

So you get either a influential contact which might dislike or not want to help you, or a less influential contact but one that you're on good terms with so even if they can do less cool stuff, it's easier to get help. The INFLUENCE can be the amount of dice the contact get to roll to make "shit happen", not necessarily related to a single skill check but just a pool of dice.

Possibly add some modifications so if you have a high empathy score, you get bonus points, or have age or reputation modify it, etc. Then you can make a general talent that you can get to increase the amount of points you get to spend or connect the process of cultivating the relationship with your actual game, so if you help your contact you improve the relationship or the opposite...

Edit: The above idea is inspired by rules from the swedish game Noir (Helmgast), but as a coincidence I was looking through my Mutant YZ books just now and realised that Mutant - Elysium have rules for contacts. See https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/27 ... nt-Elysium
"To fall in hell, or soar angelic, you need a pinch of psychedelic."