WanaxOdysseus
Topic Author

Martea and Maligarn

Mon 23 Nov 2020, 16:53

So, in the Stoneloom Mines, it says that

"Martea may have acquired the sword Maligarn from someone who previously ventured into the mines. She views it as a threat to her family, and may either use it or just store it."

Did anyone play this out? How did you implement it? I'm trying to find some inspiration for how an abyss worm...has a sword? Or where she'd store it if she's not using it herself?

Farydia

Re: Martea and Maligarn

Mon 23 Nov 2020, 18:12

I have an idea where an amorphous cave worm demon thingy might hide away a sword - but I'll keep that to myself :D.
We haven't played the Stoneloom Mines, yet, but I intend to place the sword in some sort of hiding place. I intend to use Location 18 (Abandoned Caves) for that. And devise some fun surprises for these caves to boot :).

WanaxOdysseus
Topic Author

Mon 23 Nov 2020, 21:56

Feel free to describe :)

I was trying to visualize an Abyss Worm with...maybe one arm sticking out that could wield the sword, but that wouldn't work very well with the monster attacks?

Farydia

Tue 24 Nov 2020, 00:35

Well, all snarkiness aside, Martea is described as having these "slits" where the people she devoured are preserved within her Abyss Worm body. I think, if you want to put the sword on her, erm, person (for lack of a better term), an additional slit for the sword or one the sword has to share with a victim is as good a hiding place as any :). I don't think, she'd actually use the sword like a weapon, the Abyss Worm attacks are better than anything she could do with a sword in that form.
I'm brainstorming as I'm writing this, so please just bear with me, if this is becoming a little incoherent... I'm just thinking, when the group actually attacks Martea and one of them is devoured - maybe they could become aware of the sword inside her body that way? That might actually be cooler than the abandoned caves idea... I'll always have that as a fallback, I guess :D.

WanaxOdysseus
Topic Author

Tue 24 Nov 2020, 20:32

Finding the Maligarn while...inside the Abyss worm is....a really epic take, but that relies on the adventurer a) actually being swallowed and b) surviving inside for long enough, lol. I do love the idea of bursting out from inside the abyss worm with the sword in hand....

Emperyan

Wed 23 Dec 2020, 23:47

Honestly? I just made Martea into a Drakewyrm. Goes a little more with "Swedish" feel of our campaign (it's a "lindorm") and my group said they wanted to face down a dragon in the game so...
Also, they've seen more than a few Abyss worms already (the Iron Guard with an Abyss worm mount was fun) and I wanted to change things up.
Makes a little more "sense" to me that a dragon in a dwarven mind might have some trinkets and coins lying about, no?