Tywyll
Topic Author

What is a Witch?

Thu 08 Oct 2020, 22:34

So in Hexenwald there is a ritual PCs can learn that allows them to become invisible for a quarter day but requires "the blood of witch, willingly spilt".

So...what's a witch in Forbidden Land terms? Can a PC become a Witch? If so, how? Is a witch just a female spell caster? Something else?

One of my pcs has learned this spell, and wants to know what qualifies as a witch. And honestly I am not sure.

Fenhorn

Re: What is a Witch?

Thu 08 Oct 2020, 23:14

The five witches (and the ritual) are specially made for that story. If there are more witches and other witches out there will be up to the GM to decide, but there are no rules for it.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Tywyll
Topic Author

Fri 09 Oct 2020, 10:09

Sorry, I get that the five NPCs are witches. But what makes them a 'witch'? How is that different from any other form of caster? Can a PC become one? Can a PC join their Coven? They all seem to be sisters though I don't know if that is biological or a coven name.

Like clearly the PC has been given a tool and he wants to use it. So is it something he can leverage, or is it merely something viable here in the adventure site? Like I am happy for there to be other witches, I just want to know how to quantify them?

Fenhorn

Fri 09 Oct 2020, 11:14

Some of the scenarios in The Spire of Quetzel (and also in Crypt of the Mellified Mage) are a little bit off and can have a feeling that they are not exactly true to the setting of the Forbidden Lands, that you as a GM may have to shoehorn them in. This is especially true for the Site The Hexenwald.

Those witches in Hexenwald are special with special powers, written for that scenario, but the word witch has been used in the setting for various female spell-casters (The Raven Sisters for example), so my personal take on this is that witch is a word that is sometimes used for any female spell-caster.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

AmbrianLeonhardt

Sat 10 Oct 2020, 08:17

Also worth noting that Heme herself might be comparable to a witch according to the Swedish name for Haggler's House. Brior talks about that here: viewtopic.php?f=104&t=6778&hilit=Haggler

Brior

Sat 10 Oct 2020, 12:12

he word witch has been used in the setting for various female spell-casters (The Raven Sisters for example), so my personal take on this is that witch is a word that is sometimes used for any female spell-caster.
Also worth noting that Heme herself might be comparable to a witch according to the Swedish name for Haggler's House. Brior talks about that here: viewtopic.php?f=104&t=6778&hilit=Haggler
I tend to agree with what is said above.

In a similar way, a ”demon” is unspecific: anything living that shouldn't appear in a particular setting according to the dominating divine plan for said setting. Often it is used for otherworldly beings that are not necessarily evil but often strange. I seldom use the word ”demon” in my settings for something intrinsically evil, like the Abrahamitic religions of our own world do, but then I seldom have the religious setup with a good vs an evil side.

Tywyll
Topic Author

Mon 12 Oct 2020, 11:12

Thanks for the info on Haggler's House (the name always bugged me)! I'm glad to get the 'deeper' meaning!

Okay, so any female caster could count as a witch. I think damage wise, they need to bleed at least 1 Str worth of blood for it to count for the spell, to limit it to a meaningful sacrifice. There is a female druid in the party, so I imagine he'll be trying to make deals with her when necessary (and since she's one of the team's main fighters, this poses no small risk if things go bad).

rennarda

Wed 21 Oct 2020, 12:02

In my campaign the Witches of Hexenwald are like the Istari of Middle Earth - unique. Mother Mab has become the Gandalf figure, and Emmaline has become Saruman.