Tywyll
Topic Author

Baby Dragon-what to do?

Wed 09 Sep 2020, 10:35

So I ran the Amber Peak quest last night involving the water ritual and dragon egg. I rolled to see which, if any of the bad events could happen and of course, I rolled all of them. Meaning the party faced a melee between a demon-wyvern, dragon and invisible sorcerer. Tl;dr-the wyvern died, the baby imprinted on a pc, and the mother distraut has flown away to burn down part of Amber Peak (they don't know that yet).

I am left wondering where to go with it now? While Zertorme wanted the baby dragon, I don't want him to turn and immediately crush them in a fit of pique. I was thinking he might take the long road of getting them into his service, serving him loyally and that way he has the dragon and it's 'master' working for him. I was thinking this might overcome his anger at losing his wyvern. Does that seem reasonable? I don't want him to be a raving villain as I think he sees himself as too much of 'the hero' for that.

And the dragon. What the heck to I do with that?!? Obviously it will be awhile before it grows to a size where it is more than an exotic looking cat. But equally, I don't want the party to never see it mature. I was thinking that maybe in six months, with enough food, it would be at least pony sized. Heck, if a PC with staningist can change the Ravenlands, why not a draconic king? I did tell the player that of course, it would take 8 seasons for the dragon to grow up, but we would rush the ending on the 8th because I'll want to change systems. ;) He acknowledged that going crazy was his only recourse.

Brior

Re: Baby Dragon-what to do?

Wed 09 Sep 2020, 11:22

I am left wondering where to go with it now? While Zertorme wanted the baby dragon, I don't want him to turn and immediately crush them in a fit of pique. I was thinking he might take the long road of getting them into his service, serving him loyally and that way he has the dragon and it's 'master' working for him.
Perhaps there are severe problems with raising dragons and takes a lot of focus and skill. You might think of inadept people raising large pitbulls or look at the documentary series ”Tiger King” for ideas. The process probably consumes many that try ;-). Zertorme might have heard stories of this and is just as happy to let somebody else do the tedious and dangerous work. If he can hook the dragon's owner by claiming they killed his wyvern – all the better.

Also: keep in mind that the dragon queen Scarne might eventually rise from the caves below Stongarden, aiming to liberate the dragons of Ravenland whether they want to be liberated or not.

Tywyll
Topic Author

Wed 09 Sep 2020, 17:05

Hummm...I've done some research on crocs and Komodo dragons. They take 8+ years to mature...so I guess baby dragon isn't getting viable anytime soon unless I have a big time jump in the campaign.

Konungr

Fri 11 Sep 2020, 02:50

Also knowing how to raise animals tends to be fairly unique to different animals. I imagine the knowledge base for raising dragons is extremely limited. And many animals, especially predatory animals, and ESPECIALLY non domesticated ones, just cannot be raised and tamed reliably. Remember how one of the Siegfried and Roy Tigers mauled and maybe killed one of them? Raising a dragon is in all likely hood just plain not possible without vast resources and teams of trainers working on them 24/7. Even then it would be unreliable at best.

Tywyll
Topic Author

Wed 16 Sep 2020, 11:03

While that is true for normal animals, I'm not sure about dragons. The blurb says they aren't intelligent, but the stats don't seem to back that up. Wits 4, Lore 2, Manipulation 2... those aren't the stats of a wild animal.