Mr Oldtimer

Re: Party full of Lore and Camping?

Thu 27 Aug 2020, 08:48

I’d say: well played!

Ebrim

Thu 27 Aug 2020, 14:32

That’s a cool take.

My default is one try on anything, generally a failure should mean the narrative progresses that any future test will be different or there’s some other complication. I’d rather players try and be clever before they roll and maximize their chances.

Theros

Wed 02 Sep 2020, 18:54

Lore is a perfect skill to use the group roll rule. Let one player roll (the best one). If the other players can help is up to you as a GM. Personally I don't allow it since for the most part, I think the players probably know the same thing or not at all.
Then that makes Lore a skill that only one player ever needs and completely invalidates the other PCs having it. We generated the party with the random adventurers booklet so one of the pcs has a Wits of 5 and a Lore of 3 and two other characters have lore as well. They might as well not have it in that case.

But everyone rolling makes it too easy.

Also, since Lore rolls are supposed to represent things you heave heard or/learned, how can people help each other with that?
I would use two rules, depending of situation of course. If there are PCs from different backgrounds, I would tell a little bit different story. Maybe just changing who is bad, how bad he really is and who made success etc.

If the first thing feels too hard sometimes I would ask each player make a roll and success gives one additional dice to roll for person who is making a "real" test roll.

terriblyinept

Tue 08 Sep 2020, 21:58

Then that makes Lore a skill that only one player ever needs and completely invalidates the other PCs having it. We generated the party with the random adventurers booklet so one of the pcs has a Wits of 5 and a Lore of 3 and two other characters have lore as well. They might as well not have it in that case.

All that's been discussed so far in the thread is quite useful. Responding to this particular point, even if you don't end up incorporating anyone else's advice but want to limit to 1 roll for the whole party (which happens in all kinds of cases, including group instances of sneaking and watching for ambushes, in this rules system): (1) the party isn't always all together or having exactly the same experience [also, see the poster's comment about lore rolls more related to one character's background] (2) Wits is subject to damage, and that damage isn't necessarily going to be healed at a convenient time to make a Lore roll [and I typically have the party member roll who currently has the most dice for the roll].