Konungr
Topic Author

Crypt of the Mellified Mage locations

Mon 27 Jul 2020, 21:44

Hello GMs.

I got my package for the Bitter Reach content today and I have been digging through the Crypt of the Mellified Mage first.

Now those of you who also got it and dug through will have noticed that 2 of the 4 adventure sites require no fixed location on a map. Easy. The other 2 however do have fixed locations. Though not ones that necessarily require them to be in either the Bitter Reach or the Forbidden Lands. So I am thinking about where to put them.

The first, the titular crypt, is so invested in bees that I can't imagine the place existing in the Bitter Reach. It's just to cold for the Bees to exist up there. It makes more sense in the FL. I am currently considering the villages at 18Q or 27Ab. Both are out of the way and thus good places for a small village as the adventure describes but 27Ab is also near hills and mountains which would fit with the mound of the Crypt itself.

The second location I think fits in well with the Bitter Reach. A distant and dangerous place to go to with high valuables to be found. But honestly I haven't yet placed the locations for the bitter Reach yet so I don't know where I would want to place The Firing Pit of Llao-Yutuy.

Thoughts?

terriblyinept

Re: Crypt of the Mellified Mage locations

Fri 31 Jul 2020, 22:39

I placed the Crypt itself in 3Ad (in part because of the geography, hills and mountains as you said, and in part to accentuate it being especially isolated).

I'm a little torn with 2 of the others: my players are likely going to be in the Forbidden Lands for quite a while, so even if it takes some shoehorning I'm probably going to try and fit the other 3 somewhere there. Honestly, I'm not sure how well any of them fit in the Bitter Reach; it seems to have a far less varied history than the FL, and thus less variety to the origin and use of various sites, although I suppose Llao-Yutuy could have set up shop there with Ingmarg and his lot as prominent patrons?

The Dream-Cloud, however, I'll probably hold in my back-pocket to place any old place I'm feeling it, especially if the PCs seem to need something truly new wherever they happen to be at the time. (I used the Spire of Quetzel the same way, incidentally.)

Let us know what you end up deciding!