gru
Topic Author

Do druids generally know about the legendary elves?

Fri 24 Jul 2020, 17:56

I have two player characters who are druids. Would they know about the legendary elves (e.g. Viridia)? Would they know the legends or the real information? Are these elves generally known to the druid community, as the elvenspring received knowledge from the elves?

Eldhierta

Re: Do druids generally know about the legendary elves?

Fri 24 Jul 2020, 18:27

The thing with elves in FbL is that though they may be immortal their minds still fail them, forgetting huge swathes of their own lives as well as history. Also, being immortal, they may not be as interested ìn certain events as mortals are, perhaps contemplating the growth of a tree for a couple of hundred years completely missing out on historical events developing around them.

They may also be newly "minted" elves, created from the shards of the heart ruby of an elf who has decided to end his/her existence to propagate the elven race.

They might remember fragments though. Maybe not who she was exactly, but the colour of her eyes in moonlight or the timbre of her voice in the morning hours. Elves are weird like that.

Konungr

Fri 24 Jul 2020, 18:32

The elves don't generally know about the legendary elves. The way all their memory works it all drifts into a haze over time. There might be 10 people in the world who know any factual information about legendary figures.

Most of those people would know those figures directly.

gru
Topic Author

Fri 24 Jul 2020, 18:50

My question is not about elves memory.

My question is whether druids know about the first elves like Viridia. The Order of Maidens knows about the Shardmaiden, which is one of the first elves. The question is whether they do know about the others?

terriblyinept

Fri 24 Jul 2020, 23:36

My question is whether druids know about the first elves like Viridia. The Order of Maidens knows about the Shardmaiden, which is one of the first elves. The question is whether they do know about the others?

Looking things over a little bit, I'm not sure the Order of Maidens know a lot specifically about the Shardmaiden, though I imagine they have impressions of her life and memories as they do portions of her magic. That's how I would play them, at least: they might have preternatural insights from the life of the Shardmaiden. The way I would let this play out is (in keeping with replies above) their memories of the others are hazy, but they may instinctively know when something they hear about one of the other legendary elves is false. Regardless of their level of knowledge, it likely comes from their particular shard or word-of-mouth from another Maiden.

Druids generally speaking? No, unless they knew one of the elves in life, and even then their memories of those times have likely faded. Let them use LORE and give them snippets for each success; as a possible explanation for the source of their knowledge, if it fits, say they learned it from a member of the Order.

Thanks for reclarifying the purpose of your question.