notap71
Topic Author

House Rules for Bolas, Nets and Whips

Fri 03 Jul 2020, 02:58

Hey guys,
I have a PC who wants to use Nets, Bolas or a Whip but I cant find any rules for them, so I made some up. I would be interested in your feedback :

Most Melee Weapons require the PC to be within Arms Length for the attack to be successful, but Nets, Bolas, and Whips only need to be in close range.

GRIP : Nets and Bolas need two hands to wield, so they cant be combined with a shield, and some critical injuries will prohibit the use of two-handed weapons. Whips are single handed weapons but because the user needs to balance with the non-master arm, they cant use a shield either.
BONUS : Nets, Bolas and Whips all attract a +1 Gear Bonus
DAMAGE : Nets, Bolas and Whips are not designed to caused damage, but are used to grapple the target to the spot. Consequently, the target will suffer 1 Damage to Strength PLUS the target is dropped to the ground, and drops the weapon they were holding, and cannot move.
The only action the target can perform is BREAK FREE – which is a slow action and requires him to win an opposed Melee Strength roll with the PC. This is reflective of the wielders aim and the part of the body the weapon has made contact with.

Konungr

Re: House Rules for Bolas, Nets and Whips

Sat 04 Jul 2020, 02:07

So for starters. Bolas are a throwing weapon and would follow any rules for things like throwing knives etc for ranges. They also absolutely dont require 2 hands.

Using bolas i would say you have 2 or 3 options. 1) go for the head. It deals damage 1 bashing. 2) go for the body. It restricts use of arms following rules for a grapple and using successes as its roll the target has to beat to get out. 3) go for the legs. Its a push using the successes and takes a slow action for the target to disentangle themselves. Bolas might get 2 equipment dice base. They are apparently incredibly easy to use and very effective.

Nets like a gladiator would use are also 1 handed (and often used with a spear or trident). I would say it does no damage but does grapple. If successful the target suffers a -2 when trying to get out. Near range at most. Maybe close. Probably arms. The net after use would need a slow action to reset to be thrown again.

The whip again, 1 handed. It should be 1 damage base. Capable of doing a grapple or push (but causes no dmg when used for this purpose). Slash damage. Close range.