Tywyll
Topic Author

Druid Healing changing the flavor of the System?

Tue 23 Jun 2020, 10:18

The players recently picked up a druid NPC to join their party and I'd never really thought of the impact of their healing magic, thinking of it mostly as taking care of a big injury or whatever.

But no, once you have the two healing spells in a grimoire, or spend your first 6 xp to get to Rank 2 in healing, no character ever has any attribute at less than full (assuming they don't break) since they can safely cast the spells as often as needed. Obviously this doesn't work in a fight, but any attribute damage from any source can be healed without risk.

That seems pretty...big? Or am I over thinking it? Is the game calibrated around the idea that players almost always have their full dice pools?

Fenhorn

Re: Druid Healing changing the flavor of the System?

Tue 23 Jun 2020, 13:18

You also heal 100% after quarter day of rest, something that you need to do anyway. For a PC this cost WP. For NPCs it is up to the GM to decide this. Just because the rules say that an NPC can cast use WP equal to their rank each round doesn't mean that they have endless of WP, you as a GM have to balance this. The rule isn't written for players to have a permanent NPC healer with them, it is written so you as a GM have an easier time to handle spellcasters during encounters. If the group has permanent or semi-permanent NPC healer with them, then perhaps letting him use the PC rule with WP is the way to go. It doesn't take that much extra work to keep track of the WP for one PC.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Tywyll
Topic Author

Tue 23 Jun 2020, 14:10

Ah! I thought that if you didn't need to roll, you didn't need to spend WP.

My bad. The NPC in question works according to PC rules, so they track WP and Push rolls and all that.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Fenhorn

Tue 23 Jun 2020, 14:14

Ah! I thought that if you didn't need to roll, you didn't need to spend WP.

My bad. The NPC in question works according to PC rules, so they track WP and Push rolls and all that.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Yeah, it always cost WP, then a safe casting can allows you to not roll misfire dice.

I think, if an NPC is like a player, he should follow the players rule about how WP usage work, at least for spellcasters. The rule as written works best with spellcasters you meet in encounters or a enemies.

edit: With the old WP rule (GM had a pool) I still let NPCs that was part of the PC group use their rules and not be part of the pool because it felt wrong to let an ally to the players drain my WP-pool.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Konungr

Tue 23 Jun 2020, 14:36

Personally I use a modified version of the GM having a willpower pool that is closer to Darkness Points in Coriolis.

I like the idea of the GM having a meta-currency that restricts them but also opens up options like triggering traps/environmental hazards/monster attacks. (when fighting a monster I HAVE to roll on the table but for 2 WP I can pick the attack I want).

It makes the GM more of a player and adds to my fun while also letting my players know that I too have rules to follow and that those traps and such are coming from somewhere.

So... that druid would always have to spend WP to cast his spells. Though I might say that the players can choose to pool their WP to fuel his abilities. The players are benefiting from his powers so the players can fuel those powers themselves.

Tywyll
Topic Author

Wed 24 Jun 2020, 13:01

Sorry to confuse things by mentioning the fact the druid was an NPC. It is played exactly as a character, just a DMNPC I added to help bolster the party after we lost a couple of players. It being an NPC is irrelavent.

The problem was that I forgot spells still cost a WP even if you need 0 dice.