Tywyll
Topic Author

Pelagia

Fri 15 May 2020, 13:27

I'm a bit unclear on how the players are supposed to discern the Maha script to solve the riddle. Since no one will teach them, and druids aren't allowed to participate, how do the PCs get an 'in'? Are they really supposed to OOC figure out all the signs?

Melvin

Re: Pelagia

Fri 15 May 2020, 19:40

The druids dont help, but they can explain their name and players have to guess and remember all signs they saw. And every maha signs arent explained nor needed but hey... If you dont want to make the players to find out, maybe using lore skill?

Grimmar Bärse

Sat 16 May 2020, 08:46

I handed out the page with all signs that is included in the adventure site to the players.

Then they asked around, for peoples names. Name of the taverna, etcetera. Adding more and more knowledge to that paper. And then they also guessed on a few of them. And that was actually enough to learn bow to solv the puzzle.

Tywyll
Topic Author

Mon 18 May 2020, 13:38

Nice.

No one in my party can use Scarnsbane. Any suggestion on what I could swap in its place?

michael

Mon 18 May 2020, 14:56

Scarnsbane - if that's the name of the hammer used by Oramûnd in english - can be useful even if the PCs are unable to use it themselves in battle.

You could change it to any artifact you want to, but then there are a few characters in the adventure site whose motivation needs to be updated / changed.

Or---

The hammer is of interest to several people, among them the dwarven princess Arvia or as the tool to free the stone titans. Also interesting if the players make their way to Stonegarden where the hammer has a connection too... a creature deep underneath the surface want to put their claws on that hammer. So they can use it as a way to make allies before the final assault on Vond.
"To fall in hell, or soar angelic, you need a pinch of psychedelic."

Tywyll
Topic Author

Mon 18 May 2020, 16:21

Scarnsbane - if that's the name of the hammer used by Oramûnd in english - can be useful even if the PCs are unable to use it themselves in battle.

You could change it to any artifact you want to, but then there are a few characters in the adventure site whose motivation needs to be updated / changed.

Or---

The hammer is of interest to several people, among them the dwarven princess Arvia or as the tool to free the stone titans. Also interesting if the players make their way to Stonegarden where the hammer has a connection too... a creature deep underneath the surface want to put their claws on that hammer. So they can use it as a way to make allies before the final assault on Vond.
We are really early in the campaign, so they don't even have a feel for the shape of the campaign at all. They've been to two locations, The HOllows and a randomly generated Town, which pointed them at Pelagia. As such they wouldn't be interested in making allies, but would try to sell the hammer...so that begs the question, what's an artifact worth? Friendship from the dwarves wouldn't mean anything to them without some tangible element to it (like half price on goods or better). The druids don't seem to have enough material goods to offer the party enough rewards.

Needless to say I am not super interested in them trying to sell the hammer or figure out a way to parlay it into some sort of material trade.

Unless someone has a good idea on how to handle this instead?

Mr Oldtimer

Mon 18 May 2020, 19:47

Or---

We are really early in the campaign, so they don't even have a feel for the shape of the campaign at all. They've been to two locations, The HOllows and a randomly generated Town, which pointed them at Pelagia. As such they wouldn't be interested in making allies, but would try to sell the hammer...so that begs the question, what's an artifact worth? Friendship from the dwarves wouldn't mean anything to them without some tangible element to it (like half price on goods or better). The druids don't seem to have enough material goods to offer the party enough rewards.

Needless to say I am not super interested in them trying to sell the hammer or figure out a way to parlay it into some sort of material trade.

Unless someone has a good idea on how to handle this instead?
Then again, imagine if they sell the artifact for a few gold coins to some traveling merchant, only to realize at a later date they need it to make a crucial alliance! Imagine the look on their faces when it dawns on them they had the means to form the alliance in their hand and they just sold it. Now you've got a whole new adventure finding that merchant and get the hammer back. Who knows where to find him/her? And to whom has this merchant shown the hammer? Will other forces be out hunting for the same artifact? (Most certainly had it been my campaign!) I'd totally let them sell the hammer just to have the plot hook of having them to retrieve it later...

Konungr

Mon 18 May 2020, 20:13

Yeah. I would totally allow the players to hang themselves by selling away an ancient artifact without really knowing what it was and then having that come back to bite them in the ass.

Brior

Mon 18 May 2020, 21:33

I'd totally let them sell the hammer just to have the plot hook of having them to retrieve it later...
I really like that twist too!

Tywyll
Topic Author

Tue 19 May 2020, 10:09

They would probably sell it to one of the two factions in Pelagia that wants it. What would the dwarves offer for it? What would the druids?